An Idea
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

An Idea Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

An Idea

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

An Idea Empty An Idea

Post by Danny Thompson Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Okay, so I had talked to Darren about this idea, but I want to see if everyone would like this idea or not.

So being the nerd that I am about things, I had come across this game called 'Family Guy Online'. I'm sure all of you know the show, if you don't, just bear with me. So on this game, you can create your own Family Guy character, but using a certain guideline. In order to make your character, you have to first use a certain template that has his or her own set of skills and benefits, as well as their own faults and other misdoings. It's kinda fun to experiment around with different types of characters, Stewie having the lazer guns and bazookas yet he isn't able to take much of a punch due to his small stature, while Peter on the other hand is this very large guy who can take a hit, yet doesn't have the variety of weapons that Stewie can use. My point is being this:

Why don't we use this kind of idea on PA?

I don't know about the majority of you guys, but I find the applications to be somewhat...long. In terms of trying to make a really diverse character, it would take the applications quite some time to make. For many of you, you probably don't even see this as a problem, it allows a lot more customization for those who really want to do that sort of thing. I like that sort of thing myself, to really add a lot of customization towards a character, yet I think I can vouch for more than a few people when I say, pardon my french, 'It's a pain in the ass'. Members I have talked to in the past in terms of applications, the problem isn't really how long the actual thing is, but they can't seem to get a real good 'vision' of what the character would be like. And in a way, I think we all experience that kind of writers block whenever we make a new character, we have no idea as to what that person would be like, since we are just making them up out of thin air...or using a canon character, but that's besides the point.

My idea is this: save some time and save some brainpower in the character creation process. My idea is to use this sort of template idea instead of the applications we all must fill out. The template process, in my opinion, would definitely encourage people to think more about their character by building off another type of character. An example is this, let's say I wanted to make John Doe. With the application process, it could take me a great deal of time to try and think how John Doe would act or react in a given situation, and at least for me, that leads to frustration because I don't know how I could put that down in a variety of words. When I create a character, I just want to get his basic points down and get right into the roleplay and develop his personality further, not just from an application that has dictated how he will go on with his life.

If I create John Doe using a template based off, let's say Harry, we all know who Harry is. We've all read the books or seen the movies, we know how Harry would react in a given situation so instead of trying to make some sort of personality that is usually always relevant to a character in the series (because face it, there's a lot) we can just say 'John Doe is relevant to Harry Potter' or, as FGO puts it, 'Your character will be most like Harry Potter'. That means we have just established a basic point, the exposition of the story. If you think of it like this, all stories have that beginning, that basic foundation of which we build upon to give a more complex and diverse setting. Many authors use the stereotypical kind of character in the beginning of a story, because we all know how some stereotypes would react to each other. Perfect example, look at the Breakfast Club. We all see these teenagers that are from different cliques 'an athlete, basket-case, princess, brain, and criminal', but as we watch the movie, we learn that they are a lot more deeper than how we first perceived them to be.

The template process doesn't have to be a set in stone idea like Family Guy Online, but it gives them that basic structure from which the author can build upon. If any of you have ever played roleplaying games, like Skyrim (I am sure most of you have played Skyrim), we started out as an unknown prisoner, taken in to be sentenced to death for crossing into Skyrim at the wrong place and wrong time. When you get to Helgen, you are literally about to get your head chopped off, right before Alduin comes in and ironically saves your life. As you progress through the story of Skyrim, you can choose to just go headfirst into the main questline or join some factions to give yourself more of a story to your character. So in the beginning, everyone started out as a prisoner, the guy no one ever wants to be. But by the end of it all, you end up becoming a God Killer, a leader of the Mercenaries guild, Leader of the Thieves Guild, Archmage of the Wizard's College, or whatever the hell you want to be. That's the beauty of it, that game gives us so many choices to build upon, and this site is exactly like that.

We have plenty of places to build ourselves up upon, yet the application process, at least in my opinion, sort of hinders that thought process. When we make a character in the apps, we immediately give them a basis in which they must follow by, sort of like templates yes, but with Applications, they take a while to create, and many newcomers to the site might feel as if they can't really experiment further with their character. So if we give them the option of doing a speedy character creation that won't take less than 10 minutes, they'll get characters out there quicker and give them a lot more leg room to really experiment upon. Plus, it allows for a more memorable approach to things. Say John Doe starts out as Harry, and a year later they seem to be more like Malfoy now, a racist guy who isn't fond of Muggle borns at all. It's that sort of thing they can track and say 'holy cow, when the hell did I take that kinda turn?' and they can adjust it or just keep going with it.

My main point is this: this site has always been about just having a good time. There will always be a positive to a negative and a negative to a positive. But if we can make things easier for the users that will often drift in and out, let's make it so they feel more welcome in terms of getting started on the stories that we all remember so well. Christ, I can still remember threads that have happened years ago, and that was because it was just fun as hell to roleplay in. All I really want is to see others have those kind of memories they can look back on years later and have them say 'yeah, it was totally worth some sleepless nights.' Let's just make things easier for the members and let's all have a great time Very Happy

Oh, if you wanted to see what the Family Guy Online creation process looks like, so you can have an idea of what I'm talking about, here's a picture.
Spoiler:
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 317
Special Abilities : Animagus

Back to top Go down

An Idea Empty Re: An Idea

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:50 pm

We don't need to replace the application. Some advanced members would hate to use this- personally, I don't like it and would never use it. I don't want my characters to be a mix of two characters, I want it to be something totally from me. Also, I love applications. I think it really makes you think about your character, get close to them, and it improves your writing.

I could see us having it as an option though. A lot of sites have two types of applications, usually a Common Application and Advanced Application, depending on the style you want to do.

One problem is this though- the admins have tried limiting members who began creating characters out of boredom, characters that would end up not being used past a week or two, by making the application something that takes some time and thought. We don't want 50 characters running around that were made because they were easy to make, that are Sues or undeveloped and are not likely to last.

And admins are pretty good about letting new members off with underdevelopment. If a character only has 3 traits and three lines in their history, but they are new, they usually pass just fine.

I also already see a problem with a lot of people's characters all seeming like the same one, which prevents me from RPing with that person more often and, thus, decreases RPing. I don't want that problem to continue.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Yeah, I guess applications shouldn't be replaced, I should've specified that more. I do agree that the applications we have now are good for those who are really wanting to get more in depth characters, yet they can be a pain for someone who really doesn't have a good thought for what their character might be.

The problem with an overabundance in characters I believe is just the fact that since someone has so many characters, they run out of ideas as to what to do. I believe the template can help with something like that because it gives them a wider range of what their character could be instead of nailing it down to a fine point. Nailing it down to a fine point is good every now and then, but if you are the kind of person to go with the flow, it's a difficult process.

And neither do I, I try to stay within a good range of what my characters are like, but I just think this idea could be a good alternative for the members that really want a story they create on their own.
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Well, I don't know that a character SHOULD be created if they member isn't sure what the character is like. There needs to be some direction. And if someone has so many characters that they can't think of another one, I don't think they should make a new one until said characters are used. That's another problem PAS has with alternates- people make new ones while sort of abandoning the ones they have.

And like I said, these applications we have now sort of work for all levels really. You can get super in depth (points at Madd's and Amy's), you can have sort of medium development (like mine) or you can do very little. All you need is basic personality, and a little bit about their history- what was growing up like, what is school like.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

Back to top Go down

Post by Chastity Moor Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Sorry but.. just gonna throw my ideas in on this..

I don't like it at all XD Sorry!

I don't like the idea of it being a template character.. if you want a template character make a canon.. or a family member of a canon.. then you can do whatever you want with it, while having a template as well.. You make it kinda sound like you are trying to turn it into a video game, and there are places for that I guess..

I agree with Jackles on most her points, but I don't really like having two applications.. I was on another site, and people start making characters like crazy using just the simple one, I may not personally like making apps, but I don't feel they need to be replaced either, the app we have now has certainly stopped me from making useless characters, if we had something easier, I guess I'd be making a lot more useless stuff... and that's not good.
Chastity Moor
Chastity Moor

Number of posts : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Your words hurt me Chase ;-;

I just like the template idea because it's faster in terms of actual creation. In a way, having a minimalistic sort of view really brings out the kind of mystery a person has to offer, or rather I see it like that. Many stories and games are often applauded by the fact that since it has no story, it is a lot more interesting, and in terms of characters, if we give them that sort of minimalistic kind of view at first, but to only have a diverse kind of background in the end, once they decide to fully go at that character, it makes them that much more interesting.

And no, I'm not trying to turn it into a video game, I'm trying to give it a little more thought process by a creative means. Not saying apps don't do that already, but something new could help get things flowing evenly.

I tend to look at things differently, we all have our two cents about something, but I feel like the template idea could be a really good start of something to help balance out how diverse a character is. I could be wrong, but what would we lose in trying it?
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 pm

I don't think the other app takes too long though. My friend Angela joined the site and it took her less than ten minutes to make one of her characters, and she's not what I'd call an advanced character. She was confused at first, but when I heard of how her character had changed from in her thoughts to in the app, I was glad she had it, because the character became useful and realistic.

I don't think we have anything to LOSE but I don't want to have something that enables poor character creation and then have the members get attached to it and, if it becomes a problem, then be unable to take it away without upset.

I'd really like to hear Khaat and Amy's opinions though, since they are the ones that do the most character accepting.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, why don't we have a poll or something to see if everyone on the site would even like the idea before we go and try to implement it? Maybe they would like it and the change could actually help increase the diversity in character personality. But again, I just offer some ideas and we see where it goes.
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Potter's Army is a multi-skill level site allegedly but if one wants to be utterly frank about it: PA is for beginners. Those that progress and get better stay and set the bar level in terms of quality. We take a lot of beginning rp-ers, hence what makes it more of a beginner site and in terms of overall rp quality across the board. *blah blah blah*

I'm getting to my point, I swear.

RIGHT. Yes. Beginner boards have to be rp exposure so we have to show new members every aspect of rp - from applications to coding templates - so that when they branch out they are not struck with something completely new. That would throw their confidence completely.

The application is the most important thing. PA has a "long" or "traditional" application. There are others such as "interview" or "freestyle" - depending on what you want to call both - but we have the traditional as the latter two I've mentioned are shorter versions that cover the same but are more free form.

Our members are a bit dodgy in terms of what they produce in apps, primarily due to their experience/writing ability. To employ one or both of the other two apps would be madness on here for obvious reasons. The traditional app ensures you've covered all aspects of your character - even if it is to the bare, excruciatingly frustrating minimum.

Though a fair idea, AJ, it wouldn't work. It wouldn't cover everything we need them to and they would not develop the characters fairly and evenly - they'd be sue-ish and a bit naff, to be honest.

Trad. app is safe, tempted though I am to up the requirements for some of the areas sometimes...it's fair for everyone. (:
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 pm

I just said that, the polling, to Molly!

However, don't poll them on the new idea. If you think there's a problem with the app, though, we can see. I don't want members jumping at an idea because it is easier. Why don't we evaluate our app? the problem I am seeing between Molly and I versus you in this is we don't see that the members have a problem with the app, but you do. Let's get the problem nailed down before we offer a solution.

Something like

Dear Members,
We are writing to evaluate the effectiveness of our current app. Have you ever decided not to make a character due to our app, and why? Do you feel that it is helpful or an obligation? What is the bst part of our app? What is the worst?

We can ask more questions, but if the only complaints are that they didn't create characters because of the work and it's from people that have been given warnings about making more characters than we can handle, then there's no issue.

I just don't think this new idea is necessary. But if the members need a change, I'd be willing to budge.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum