Hogwarts: 6th Floor - The Dueling Arena ~ Hocus Pocus? - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Hogwarts: 6th Floor - The Dueling Arena ~ Hocus Pocus? - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Hogwarts: 6th Floor - The Dueling Arena ~ Hocus Pocus?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hogwarts: 6th Floor - The Dueling Arena ~ Hocus Pocus? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hogwarts: 6th Floor - The Dueling Arena ~ Hocus Pocus?

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Sabriel couldn't contain his gasp of surprise as Tremaine was bound by his ropes. The boy had been attempting to utilize the element of surprise, yes, but he did not expect his technique to work. He anticipated Tremaine to deflect attack. He expected to be on his knees by now, trembling with the effects of some hex, but such things didn't happen.

Tremaine released himself from his holdings ("finite!"). He offered a small comment or two. With one final reprimand at Hiss, Tremaine refocused his attentions to his Veela disciple.

Sabriel had a moment of displacement. Something did not feel right. His teachings nitpicked at the back of his mind like festering hungry chicks, but it was a while before he grasped the issue. In his brief moment of shock, he had drew a hand up to his lips, expressing his surprise. His wand-hand held his magical instrument across his chest. He had thought Tremaine would be angry that his attack had worked. Although such notion was asinine, he had recoiled out of sheer instinct. He had put himself in a completely vulnerable position, and there was no doubt the next spell would hit him if he stayed that way.

Sabriel put his arms back down and relaxed. He needed to be prepared. No more distractions.

Tremaine's muscles tensed. Less then half a second later, he had flicked a spell in Sabriel's general direction. The boy's eyes widened ever so slightly. No incantation? His father had trialed him on nonverbal spells since he was twelve. He was never, of course, able to defend himself magically before.

Everything went in slow motion. What was the spell? Was there any clue?

There was no time to figure it out. Just as the conjuration reached its halfway point, he dived to the side. He felt its warmth fly by his shoulder. Sabriel had narrowly missed it. It ricocheted twice of the walls, before finally absorbing into the ceiling.

Sabriel blinked. "What was that?" he asked. He was lying on his side. Gingerly, he stood, making note to check for bruises later.

Last edited by Sabriel Gardinier on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:56 am; edited 4 times in total
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Number of posts : 135

Back to top Go down

Hogwarts: 6th Floor - The Dueling Arena ~ Hocus Pocus? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hogwarts: 6th Floor - The Dueling Arena ~ Hocus Pocus?

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 am

(( Notif: I posted! ))
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Tremaine Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:29 am

OOC: I am SOOO sorry. I did miss this. but I'm back on it now. *apologizes profusely*

"Nice! Very nice indeed," Michael laughed warmly. "Nice incarcerous. Good and strong. And you were able to avoid my small charm with evidence of practice and skill. Brian will like you a good deal. You have the potential to be a strong dueler. In our ministry's history, it isn't always the strongest who prove to be the most formidible. Muggles have to think that way. Not with us magical folk. For us, its your speed and skill with a wand that often can make the difference in how 'strong' you are seen to be. You have every reason to think, with your genetic makeup, that you will be faster than most wizards without the veela advantage. You, my boy, have amazing potential, and that pleases me to no end. Let us try one or two more, just for the heck of it, and then perhaps we'll bugger off back up to my rooms. I refuse to eat what they serve downstairs unless I must. I far prefer cooking my own downstairs. So, I send my owl downstairs to the house elves, and they deliver up the supplies for me to do my own cooking. And you do need far better nutrition. That begins today."

He studied the boy for a moment, and his pause was designed both to give Sabe time to recover briefly and also time for him to think. "Take a moment for yourself. This is just designed for me to see how well you function, and I do believe I have seen enough. But lets try one or two more. When you feel ready, go ahead an return fire."
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 646
Special Abilities : Portkey Creation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:37 pm

(( OOC Perfectly all right considering how long it's taking me to reply at Hogsmeade. ^_^ ))

Sabriel blushed heavily under the professor's praise, fidgeting uncomfortably on the crescent star. He was unused to such praise. Tremaine's voice held an excited, affectionate lace that startled him as much as it warmed him. He nodded.

"That is a good idea," the boy assented. "My road to fulfillment should begin straightaway. Good health comes first before anything."

Sabriel closed his eyes and breathed. His thoughts were somewhat restless, swelling and warm. They beckoned him with various spells and conjurations to cast upon Tremaine. He willed them to get in order, and quietly sorted through the ones he liked best. Finally, he found one he deemed apt. Extending his wand, the boy said,

"Titillando!"

Titillando - Hex that provokes uncontrollable laughter
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Tremaine Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Michael loved to laugh anyway, so for him, he had made an attempt to deflect the charm but he didnt' know where the charm might have started and stopped and where his own laughter began. But it had made him laugh. The fact that he was able to stop told him it was his own laughter.

"Oh, well done. Well done indeed. Creativity is sometimes our best weapon. People don't often think of the smaller annoying charms in a battle, but they are immeasurably handy. Alright. Enough. Let's go upstairs and get some breakfast. Come along then. I don't want you to be late for class because you've been 'horseplaying'--as they would call it--with me. Hiss, how does the hallway look?" The rope slid back in and nodded at him. "Come along then," he told the rope. It slithered up to his shoulder and coiled around his shoulder to be easily carried. MIchael motioned for Sabe to follow him back downstairs.

Michael went back down to his suite of rooms and motioned for Sabe to simply make himself at home. Hiss slithered off Michael's shoulder and coiled up on top of a bookshelf. Michael went to the desk and picked up his quill and a piece of parchment. He filled out his supply list just as there was a tiny knock on the door..

"Come in, Ed," Michael said. A house elf came in, looking like he truly wanted to rebuke Michael for calling him Ed. "Not more than ten minutes, now, Ed," MIchael ordered. "Look sharp." The elf snatched the parchment of the desk, read it and left grumbling under his breath.

"You'll have to ignore Ed," Michael said. "He's just generally a grouchy old fart. Its just his nature. Now, while we wait, what questions do you have?" Michael flicked his wand towards a trunk beneath a worktable not far from the fireplace and it began assembling all the necessary cooking equipment for him.
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:11 am

Sabriel followed Tremaine back to his quarters. Excitement and relief coursed through him. Tremaine had thought he'd done a good job! It settled his nerves completely. You've passed, he thought privately. It was all quite wonderful. Never once during his spars with his Father he was given such outward praise. A nod, an advancement or two. If he successfully remembered what to do in a certain event, they would move on to the next lesson. The greatest pardon he would receive is being capable of going home without any bruises, and perhaps skip a day of practice or so.

Finally, back in the office, Sabriel fetched himself some tea and curled up in an armchair. He was generally pleased with himself. A moment later, he berated himself. There were still challenges ahead. A mere mediocre lesson was just a tiny step in his advances to become an Auror.

Tremaine padded over to his desk. He extracted a quill and a complementary piece of parchment and started to write. A moment later, there was a small knock at the door, but Sabriel had been so wrapped up in his tea, it startled him all the same. The boy timidly settled down, hoping Tremaine did not notice his little jump.

Their guest was a house elf. Ed? Ed begrudgingly 'accepted' the letter from Tremaine and made a hasty exit.

"You'll have to ignore Ed," Tremaine told him. "He's just generally a grouchy old fart. It's just his nature. Now, while we wait, what questions do you have?"

Sabriel thought for a moment. "You were an Auror, correct? As a profession? What did it take?"
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Tremaine Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:31 am

Michael smiled, pleased with the boy's intellect, as he took his own tea mug and refilled it. 'Here it comes,' he thought to himself. "And there is the rub. I have danced around that point rather well, haven't I?" he laughed. "First, am I an auror? No. But in my line of work, I did have to know nearly all their skills. I work almost entirely and exclusively for Khaat's father--our rightful minister of magic. And I have been working for him for many years. My specialties are stealth, espionage, and...well, I'll say it outright. Theft. I am a catburglar by trade. In both the muggle and magical realms. Truth be told, though, I didn't start out as a lad thinking that was what I'd be. It was never my life dream. If I'd had my way, I have most likely been a chef. Or a firewhiskey brewer.

"I had to do it to provide for my family when I was a kid. I had to learn to pickpocket at first. And shoplift. And I was quite good. It fed my family for a long time. And, as the years went by and i got involved against the dark arts followers, the more those who were fighting for what we call the 'greater good of our world' had desperate need for someone who could go into the dark and shady places they had never been and would most likely be killed in. So all my desires and life plans went up in smoke because someone always needed me to swipe something away from someone evil. Just for the record, I have never handed over anything to a dark arts practioner and I would die before I did so. And the only time I have stolen for my own gain was if it meant the difference between my own death or survival. I have made what cash I had by being remitted for my services by either the muggle british governmenet or our own.

"I won't ever ask you to be anything you don't want to be, so if your kneejerk reaction is to run, that's understandable, but I won't ever ask you to train for what I do. You do have advantages that might help you for that profession but you also, at least at this point, have some disadvantages to that, and I would never put you there unless it was your own free will. Your path for your life has to be completely your own choice. And if I can help you get to what you want, I will. That, and my goddaughter has taken a strong shine to you. There is very precious little that I wouldnt do for her and her family. They're the only famiy I have left.

"So--bottom line. Am I one of the good guys? Yes. Do I look like it? Anything but. But therein lies my advantage," he grinned. "I can get into places my famous and righeous friends cannot. And I do--for them."
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:17 am

Sabriel gave a start at Tremaine's admittance to being a cat burglar. Despite the man's obvious effort to avoid the notion, the word 'thief' branded itself in Sabriel's mind in neon letters. It was persistent and searing, and he struggled to wrap his mind around the possibility that he was sitting in front of a renowned, and possibly not quite reformed, bandit.

Tremaine went on, and as he progressed Sabriel made an effort to rebuke any and all ill feelings he had developed toward the man. He had a friend, Daujee, that mentioned her brother stole sometimes just to feed their family. Such a way of life was foreign to the boy. He had grown up with everything he wanted literally placed in the palm of his hand. His sisters made a point to exercise their nobility, and purchased frivolous things without hesitation. He would have never been able to survive in the lives of Michael Tremaine or Daujee De'Arte. He lacked the fundamental keys to survival. Had it not been for the money, Sabe would have been dead long ago. His family would be starving, unable to support the masses of children Belrose produced.

His father often remarked on thieves. He considered them disgusting and parasitical, preferring to steal the things others worked hard for instead of trying to make a living nobly. He once told Marianne, his youngest daughter, that if it were not for security, all their hard-earned valuables would be whisked from them the moment they exited their estate, and Marianne had responded heatedly. She cared more about her precious trinkets and jewelry than the real but starving people not five blocks away from her home, where a single loaf of bread would save their life.

Sabriel grasped the necessity of it all, and Tremaine had turned it into a profession. He understood.

"I won't ever ask you to be anything you don't want to be, so if your kneejerk reaction is to run, that's understandable" -- he did not want to run, quite far from that sort -- "but I won't ever ask you to train for what I do. You do have advantages that might help you for that profession but you also, at least at this point, have some disadvantages to that, and I would never put you there unless it was your own free will. Your path for your life has to be completely your own choice. And if I can help you get to what you want, I will. That, and my goddaughter has taken a strong shine to you. There is very precious little that I wouldnt do for her and her family. They're the only famiy I have left. "

Sabriel smiled softly at that. So Khaat touched others, too? It was hardly surprising, but she managed it with close to no effort. It was astounding, really. And Sabe made sure to acknowledge that.

"So--bottom line. Am I one of the good guys? Yes. Do I look like it? Anything but. But therein lies my advantage." Sabriel nodded, showing he agreed. It was advantageous, yes. His sister, Beatrice, said Sabriel's appearance was the very epitome of 'good'; when he glared it was more cute than anything.

"I can get into places my famous and righeous friends cannot. And I do--for them."

Sabriel paused for a moment. "Um," he started. "I do not believe being a burglar makes you any less righteous than you friends. You perform your job for the greater good. You do not steal from loved ones, nor do you steal without good reason. The same goes for your actions in the past. What good is a little bagel to a person of the middle-class when it could save the life of a poorer individual? And even if you still harbor some guilt, you have redeemed yourself more than enough by fighting for the Cause. I am sure no one with any good sense will frown upon you, Tremaine. In fact, you have made me respect you alll the more."

Sabe smiled disarmingly. "I am spoiled. I am unappreciative of the things I have. I waste people's time with my helplessness, and even now you and Khaat have to go out of your way to aid me, despite me not having asked for any help at all. I shamelessly impose upon your lives, and burden you all. I am not saying these things for dramatic effect, nor am I trying to elicit sympathy. These were true, honest thoughts, but somehow I have changed."

He gave a deep sigh. "Sometimes I realize that I could never survive on my own. I used to accept it actually. I used to settle with the constant coddling and care I received. I did not know how to take care of myself. But you and Khaat changed that. She showed me there was hope. And you proved to me I had no one to rely on but myself. I should not have to depend on others for survival; I am perfectly capable of making it on my own. But most of all, you and Khaat showed me I will never have to 'make it on my own'. I will always have you guys. That is more than enough to instill my resolve."

A tear threatened to fall, but Sabriel wiped it. These emotions were sudden. He was unsure how to deal with them. He was careful to keep his voice straight, however. The worst part was over. Now all there was left was recovery. Only time will tell.
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Tremaine Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 am

"Thank you," MIchael said, feeling a bit like he was free of carrying that burden with Sabe now. But Sabe had triggered a fond but twisted childhood memory. It made him smile and he stoked the fire in the hearth. "Actually, stale bagels can be rather tasty if they're toasted. If you get them early enough, they're edible and might just keep you alive."

The house elf arrived with a large basket of foods and Michael tipped him with a couple of galleons and the house elf left again, satisfied with the payment. Michael looked over the basket and made quick work of chopping fresh vegetables and dicing bits of cooked ham. He scrambed some eggs and tossed them in a well oiled cast iron skillet and slid it onto a cooking grate on the hearth. "Frittata," he announced. "Less work and very healthy." He flicked his wand at an array of fresh fruits laying beside his chef's knife. "Fruit sald, and dont' make a mess," he ordered the knife and fruit. The knife began chopping the fruit and scraping it up and tossing it into a serving bowl. He drew out a platter of fresh breakfast pastries and a pitcher of orange juice. Just then the knife made a banging on a sugar bowl. Michael looked at the knife. "Just a tad, perhaps, please. The oranges smell a wee bit tart this morning." The knife saluted and flicked some sugar into the fruit bowl and then kept working.

"So," he said. "Your dueling skills are sufficient for now--unless we suddenly go to war--which by what I can gather from the street talk in Diagon Alley, might well be a reasonable expectation. If we do find ourselves unable to escape a fight, I expect you to follow my orders to the letter, no matter what you see or hear. I will make sure you have someone to fight alongside you. No one needs to feel that they are in something like that alone. I would suggest that we do our best to boost your immune system and start helping you improve your own natural agility and flexibility. Let's capitalize on your assets first rather than to try to overcome those things that are perhaps a bit harder to achieve, shall we?"
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top