Debate, dicsussion.... whatever you like - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Debate, dicsussion.... whatever you like - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Debate, dicsussion.... whatever you like

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Debate, dicsussion.... whatever you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Debate, dicsussion.... whatever you like

Post by Arthur Severus Poe Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:44 pm

(Oh dear XD No need to apologize, Ameila, I have explained everything in my PM... everything is fine :-D)

''But you do annoy me'', he said. Arthur laughed a little. It was more of a subtle laugh, but it made him laugh. This reply was more than expected, but it was still very funny. He knew he annoyed her, but hearing it from her so bluntly, so coldly, it just made him laugh. He listened to her finish.

''Pardon the laugh, Amelia. It was nothing offensive. I annoy you? Nothing new, still. But listening to you explanation, a rather interesting things comes to my mind. By your definition, it is not me that annoys you, me as a human being, but rather my behavior during class. That is all valid and you have the right to develop such an opinion. But, we have a rather irrational paradox. If you dislike my behavior and if my behavior annoys you, why do you avoid the possibility of being with me in the same room? This is a philosophical paradox and it completely differentiates two completely connected things. But why do I ask you that? Because I think your intellect is more than capable of grasping this thesis that I have just stated. Why avoid me and avoid seeing me change, when there is only my current behavior in the way?'', he asked, playing with his fingers as if he had a pen or something similar between them.

''And regarding the question of motive. Motives are subjective and what is motive to me does not necessarily have to be motive to you. People do not change, but I suppose you know that. One of my favorite quotes... but who says I have to change? Who says I am acting to be that pompous, self-centered and self-appreciating idiot you know from class? Does a person's negative side necessarily have to be his real side? Can't a person act to be.... negative? And why wouldn't your annoyance with my class behavior be motive enough?'', he asked, directing a friendly looks towards her, still nervously playing with his fingers.
Arthur Severus Poe
Arthur Severus Poe

Number of posts : 471
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation, Leglimens, Wandless Magic (only basic)

Back to top Go down

Debate, dicsussion.... whatever you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Debate, dicsussion.... whatever you like

Post by Amelia Lyons Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:09 pm

At Arthur’s laughter, Amelia merely rolled her eyes, knowing even before she had said what she did that her honesty might not be met with the seriousness that she wanted. When Amelia was honest, many people mistook it for sarcasm or a joke. It was the plight of humanity because, for most people, sarcasm or jokes were the way they said what they really felt, just behind a guise of playfulness. Amelia was not exceptionally playful to begin with, and thus it was unsurprising that she did not laugh along with Arthur as he chuckled, but instead stood with her arms crossed and her lips in a straight, unmoving line.

Amelia scoffed at Arthur’s excuse for his laughter but didn’t say anything more on the subject. If he wanted to laugh, she would let him. She was already growing bored of this conversation because, from her perspective, it wasn’t going to go anywhere. Amelia rarely changed her mind about people, mostly because people to her were unchanging entities. First, second, and third impressions, in Amelia’s experience, rarely differed by more than a few degrees, which is why she was having a difficult time accepting Arthur’s hypothesis that his in class behavior was any different than the way he behaved in any other situation.

“Your current behavior is likely not all that far from your future behavior,” Amelia retorted, avoiding the temptation to heave a sigh after Arthur’s lengthy description. It was not that she was not intellectually capable of having this conversation, but rather that she had no interest in it. To Amelia, Arthur was someone she put up with in class, nothing more. Why this bothered him, she could not fathom, nor did she want to. Amelia was equally cold to everyone, because everyone annoyed her to some degree or another, and she couldn’t be bothered to sort through who annoyed her least or most, so she just avoided people in general. Her level of annoyance was probably heightened by her attempts at self-protection, the ingrained need to push people away, but Amelia didn’t rationalize her behavior in this way. It was easier to just be annoyed.

“And as for acting to be negative,” Amelia continued, answering his questions in far fewer words than he had used to pose them, “I can see no reason why a person would portray himself as being pompous and self-appreciating if there were a more likable person beneath that exterior. People act to make themselves more likable, more acceptable, more wanted, not the other way around.”

“And speaking of want,” Amelia said, dropping her arms from her chest and bending down to pick up her bag, “I think I want to leave now. As stimulating as this conversation is, I am quite busy, and I believe we have reached an impasse,” Amelia said, keeping her dismissal curt to avoid an interjection that might give him an opening into which he could try to sneak a few more words in. Amelia didn’t know why she had come here in the first place, and thus could find no reason to justify staying. Nothing was going to change if she stayed any longer, she and Arthur would just continue to lob opinions back and forth, he suggesting that there was more to him than Amelia saw, and Amelia battling against his arguments. It was a waste of his time and, drastically more valuable, hers.

“Goodbye, Arthur,” Amelia said with a nod to him, “As always, I will see you in class.”

And with that, Amelia turned and left Professor McCoy’s office and headed for the Ravenclaw common room.

((I am about to go on a Spring Break Trip, so I needed to end this thread. I also thought this was a natural breaking point. We can start the next one after I get back in a week.))
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Severus Poe Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Arthur listened to her and watched her leave. He nodded and smiled as she was leaving. After she had left, he took McCoy's chair and sat in it. He thought for a few moments and then stood up, smiling. He walked to the door. ''And yet you seem to do the same.'', he commented and left.
Arthur Severus Poe
Arthur Severus Poe

Number of posts : 471
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation, Leglimens, Wandless Magic (only basic)

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top