Learning My Way - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Learning My Way - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Learning My Way

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Learning My Way - Page 2 Empty Re: Learning My Way

Post by Avery Bishop Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 pm

A two hour tour? Avery's eyebrows flew up at the idea that it would take so long, yes, but also at the fact that he wanted to spend that much time on, well, her. It didn't make much sense, but hey. He'd offered. So what was the use in turning it down? Still, the more he talked, the more taken aback she was. It really was just so much.

Merlin help her if Sophie ever learned how to toddle her way around the halls on her own. No way would she be easy to find in this labyrinth. For a moment, Avery second-guessed her decision to take the job in the first place, but she realized immediately after that it was an over-dramatic reaction. As bad as she felt that Sophie wouldn't get out much, it was safer for them to be there. And Sophie had an attentive nanny looking out for her.

He caught himself, bringing a wider smile to Avery's face. At least he understood her hesitation. After saying all of that aloud, how could he not? "Sure," she agreed easily, heading towards the stairs with the assumption that it would be upstairs. She looked over her shoulder at him, though, a little nervous about that whole poltergeist thing. "So... if I were to ever get fed up and hex this Peeves thing, how fired would I be?"
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Number of posts : 575

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:24 am

They started on their way, Teddy trying to lead very obviously while also staying in step with Avery. At all points, Teddy was trying to ease discomfort. It was what had sent him in the direction of Mungo’s, though he didn’t have the fine tuned sense of detachment that was often required for Healing. He couldn’t remove the circumstances from the person, couldn’t focus on facts alone, and it made him sloppy.

But that’s what he did here too. Learning was a vulnerable process, and growing up was an even scarier one. He liked to think he could be a presence that removed some of that fear or trepidation. And soon it just became how he treated people. He was always seeking for the people around him to feel comfortable, affirmed, important.

He laughed at her comment. “If you hex Peeves, you may get a promotion. The Headmaster doesn’t care what you do to keep Peeves at bay, though it’s usually best to ignore him. He takes anything as encouragement.”

As they climbed the stairs, he decided to test the waters. “So, not many people go teach at schools they didn’t go to. Was Durmstrang not hiring? Sorry if that’s weird that I know that. It’s a talkative castle.”
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 265

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:47 am

"Well, I certainly don't want to encourage him," she conceded, shrugging one shoulder as if to say she would just deal with whatever he did. At first, anyway. So with that reluctant decision made, she tried to focus on remembering the direction he took her as they walked.

Avery nearly stumbled when he brought up the fact that she was an outsider. Not enough to slow her town, but enough to visibly denote how surprised she was. Or, more accurately, how shaken she was. He wasn't wrong, and it was a fair question that she knew was going to come up eventually. But he was so nice, and she didn't want to make things weird.

"Oh." She gave an even bigger shrug. "Well, I lived in England when I was little, and I came back to work at the Ministry after graduation. I actually worked in the Beasts Division, but I was always better at Charms anyway."

Her hand lifted to her arm in a self-conscious gesture. "We didn't have anything tying us to Durmstrang anymore, so this seemed as good a place as any," she claimed, knowing full well she couldn't get into the fact that she'd specifically looked for somewhere safe. That was beyond the right that anybody had when it came to knowing Avery and how she operated.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:44 pm

"He's mostly a nuisance, but if he does bother you too badly, let me or the Headmaster know. Or the Bloody Baron. He's the Slytherin House ghost, and he seems to be the only person who can keep him under control. And don't be deterred by the name. He had a gruesome death but he's a nice enough guy." He briefly wondered if he shouldn't have started with the poltergeists and the ghosts. Then again, she was going to have to reconcile with that eventually. He supposed a head's up was better than finding out after coming face to face with one of their translucent colleagues.

He seemed to have really surprised her with his question, and he thought to take it back, but she was answering. He did feel bad though, so once she explained he said, "I think it's admirable. Like I said, most people don't go out of their comfort zone, but I imagine more of us should. And as poorly as I've represented Hogwarts so far, it's a great place to do so. We try to watch out for each other."
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 am

Avery really hadn't been expecting an infestation of ghosts, but to be fair, she'd seen that Nick fellow and he hadn't been half bad. So perhaps Teddy was right, and there was little to worry about apart from Peeves. She rather liked the idea, actually, that the staff and some of the ghosts were something of a team. That was incredibly refreshing.

She blushed slightly at his assertion that her decision was somehow something to be proud of. She didn't feel the same, and she also couldn't be a hundred percent sure that he meant it. Wasn't it true that compliments like that were usually just placating? With Teddy it felt more genuine, whether that was true or not.

"No, no," she said quickly. If he was going to be nice and show her around, she couldn't let him put himself down just because she was being awkward. "You're doing a great job. It's just a lot to take in. But I'm glad to know someone will be there if anything goes awry."

They reached the top of a staircase and she looked around, trying to work out whether she knew where she was or not. Why was this so confusing? She didn't remember having this much trouble at Durmstrang. "Really," she began a little sheepishly, "I'm the one that should be apologizing. I've been here for a couple of days, but just haven't found the time to explore."
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:28 am

“How about this?” He said, slowing a bit as he glanced her way. “We both stop apologizing.” Despite having no Potter in him, there was this small smile the Potters shared, one he has carefully cultivated after a lifetime under their roof and within the warmth of their guardianship. Losing Harry had been awful, had broken his heart, but Harry had never really left. His humor hummed from James, his determination resonated from Albus, and his empathy beamed from Lily. And they all, all four of his children, smiled like him.

“This is the lounge,” he said, opening a door for her. It was uncharacteristically empty, causing a frown. “Odd. Usually more people in here. Must be enjoying last hurrahs in Hogsmeade.”

That’s where the idea was born. In that innocuous little musing. He brightened, turning towards her. “Have you been to Hogsmeade? It’s a must. I have a friend who owns a little bar there, but they do coffee and great food. He’s a good guy to know - a real saving grace when it’s Hogsmeade weekends. He’s good about reserving tables for professors to hide from students. If you have a free evening, we could go! I could invite some of the other professors I’m friends with - all two of them.” Cue that grin.
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:52 am

A pleased little smile curved her lips at his suggestion, so she nodded, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear in a habitual, somewhat shy gesture. Avery just kept letting him lead her, and was as surprised as Teddy when she discovered that the lounge was empty. To be fair, classes hadn't started, but didn't they want to socialize?

Avery stood up a little straighter when he turned to her with that much enthusiasm. There was something infectious about his sudden excitement, which might have made her just automatically agree were it not for the actual context. She did her best to keep the smile firmly in place, but she was in fact quite sorry to not be able to agree immediately. She had another person to consider, after all.

"Oh. Well, do you know if the nanny here works specific hours? Otherwise I'm not sure I can really go out at night. Sophie's only two, so I've never left her alone in the evenings before..." She sighed slightly. "It does sound fun, going out and and all. I'd really like to meet them. It's just the logistics of it."
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:22 pm

He glanced over at the blonde woman - she was sweet. He knew very little about her that hadn't been given to him during a briefing with the Headmaster, but he had always been a good judge of character. There was something secret and sad to her, yes, but she seemed to be trying to get passed it. He thought that was very sweet of her, and sad. But he hoped it wasn't sadness and just worry. Surely she would feel much better once she got the hang of the school.

He frowned thoughtfully at her question. "Honestly, I'm not sure. It's something we can definitely look into. But who says we have to go out late anyway? Once the school year starts, I'm a grandfather, light's out by 10. Nah, the professor way is slightly tippled by 2 p.m. A good nap before dinner and sorted before bed."

He opened his mouth to continue. Or maybe they could just do brunch, bring Sophie along. But somehow, that felt strange. He wasn't sure the other professors would feel at ease with a baby around, and he wasn't sure she'd feel comfortable or be able to enjoy herself. So he closed his mouth, before quickly adding, "Yeah, we can make it work."
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:16 am

Avery wished, as he tried to come up with alternatives, that she were a little more excitable. Teddy seemed like the friendly, upbeat type, and was clearly trying hard to include her while she continued to make excuses. They were valid ones, but she could've at least made some sort of suggestion in return, she supposed. It was more difficult without knowing the details of things. And besides, he was doing a great job of providing suggestions.

So that kept the smile firmly on her face as he sort of rambled, but in a charming way that she suspected was an attempt at making her feel less uncomfortable about it all. In truth, she felt quite comfortable with him. It was just the newness and her more recent shyness - that guarded nature that hadn't existed like this around Robin.

"Really," she began with a mildly amused tone, "it's all right. I'm sure I'll be seeing a lot of you all, so there's no rush. Besides, I may need a bit of time to make arrangements. I'd love to get to know everyone, though. Of course."
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:48 pm

She assuaged him that she was fine, and he nodded, biting back that small sense of rejection. He had always been a bit sensitive, but that was because he was open, vulnerable. He gave more of himself than he had available to give, and it led to these little pangs over nothing. If he had just been a tad more careful, a bit more judicious in what he offered of himself, this wouldn't be a problem.

But he leaned into a gracious smile. "Of course - all the time you need. I mean, you know where to find us," he added, with a quick laugh. "Right, on to the rest of the castle?"
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top