VALETH, John
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

VALETH, John Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

VALETH, John

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VALETH, John Empty VALETH, John

Post by John Valeth Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:29 pm

VALETH, John 11th-Doctor-Outfits-doctor-who-35669481-948-1600

John Percival Valeth
______________________________________________________________________________________

------------------------------------------------------------
INTRODUCTION

FULL NAME: John Percival Valeth

NICKNAMES: John, Johnny, J.P.

ALLEGIANCE: Death Eaters

HOGWARTS HOUSE: Slytherin

WAND: Holly, Thestral tail's hair, 12", supple

PLAY BY: Matt Smith

APPEARANCE

HAIR COLOUR: Dark brown hair

EYE COLOUR: Dark green eyes

COMPARATIVE HEIGHT: Tall

BODY BUILD: Middling

GENERAL APPEARANCE: He usually wears shirts, preferably white, black or blue. Bow ties red, blue, black and white coloured. Black and blue trousers. Brown or dark yellow tweed jackets or a black blazer. He also possesses a dark cloak which he uses from time to time. When on a formal occasion John dresses a tuxedo. He proudly bears a ring and a bracelet with a Skull and a Snake Symbol demonstrating his devotion to the Dark Side. Even though he isn't physically impaired in any way, he keeps a cane pretty much like the one Lucius Malfoy had, because he thinks it's cool.

PERSONALITY

GOOD TRAITS:

• Intelligent

• Poweful (for his age)

• Very skilled and resourceful wizard ( skilled do to his many years spent researching the D.A. and D.A.D.A., and resourceful because he had to learn the best ways to influence people into helping him out, a bit like Voldemort did with Slughorn; and the influence his family' money could buy)

• Good reflexes

• Good in Dark Arts and in Defence Against The Dark Arts (as stated previously)

BAD TRAITS:

• Ambitious

• Prejudiced against Muggle-borns and half-breeds

• Can be cruel if provoked

• Has a big ego

• Secretly is capable of loving and sacrificing himself for the ones he love even though he wished not, for he thinks it's a liability, which means he is in a constant struggle with himself

• He is not very good in Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures

• Fears death

• Dark Arts

• Ancient Magic

• Pure-bloods

• Death Eaters

• Family and friends

• Power

• Classical music

• Reading

• Nature

• Black and green

• Fish and chips

• To have a nice cup of Earl Grey tea at 5pm every day

• After dinner he usually has a cup of mead, ritual he has earned from his father

• John fancies observing the stars

• To go travelling, visiting, and exploring places that are supposedly filled with Ancient Magic

DISLIKES:

• Muggles

• Muggle-born wizards

• Half-breeds

• Order of the Phoenix

• Puny people

• Lazy people

• Heavy-metal

• Yorkshire pudding

• Purple

• When people waste his time

• Itching powder

GOALS:

• To master death

• To learn ancient and powerful magic, which he believes is the key to great power

• Achieve greatness and glory

• Become one of the most feared wizards of all time

HABITS & QUIRKS:

• Straightens his bowtie

• Wiggles his cane

• Reading and listening to music

BOGGART: Dementor

PATRONUS: When he chose his wand and his wand chose him.

DEMENTOR: When he almost killed his parents while using fiendfyre

VERITASERUM: Pretends to make Horcruxes or to own the Deathly Hallows in order to become immortal / Secretly loves his ex-girlfriend.

MIRROR OF ERISED: Become the new and most feared Dark Lord ever

PERSONALITY: John is a very intelligent ambitious person whose life-long desire has been, becoming the most powerful Dark Wizard ever. He his capable of love, even though he tries not to demonstrate it. He is a very good and loyal friend. He can be cruel if neecessary, but he has also a very friendly and funny personality, as long as he isn't in a bad day, if so, it's best to leave him alone with his darker self. If achieving his goals requires him to sever some important ties with people like he did with his ex-girlfriend or to refuse some quality time with his friends so he can investigate and learn a new ability, he will do so without thinking twice.

FAMILY & POSSESSIONS

FATHER: David Valeth

MOTHER: Jane Valeth

SIBLING/S: None

OTHER: Patrick Valeth (cousin)

BLOOD STATUS:  Pure-blood

SPECIES: Human

SOCIAL STATUS: Wealthy

PET/S:
A phoenix his father has bought from a foreign country trader, and offered him as his tenth birthday present.

OTHER POSSESSIONS:
Firebolt

CHARACTER HISTORY

Early Years: John had a very happy childhood, he was raised very comfortably as an only child in his family manor amongst his parents, their loyal servants and house elfs. Gladly money was not a problem, since both his parents worked in the Ministry of Magic in very high positions of the Department of Mysteries. He often played Quidditch with some of his cousins and family friends, which helped him develop his flying skills long before attending to Hogwarts. It was also in his childhood that he gained his passion for Ancient and Dark Magic, since he used to secretly watch his parents, who were both secretly Dark Wizards that worked in the Department of Mysteries, performing some Dark Magic written in old rare spell books and runes they had, fomenting him to expand his knowledge on the subject, but since he was too young to perform any of this powerful magic, even though he had tried, he decided to be patient and study this objects a few years later once he had some experience in magic, experience he was hoping to obtain in Hogwarts.

Hogwarts Years: When he received his Hogwarts letter, he couldn't be happier because he and his cousin Patrick Valeth, always wanted to go there and join the Slytherin team as their family had for centuries. They believed that joining Slytherin would be the easiest way to develop their Dark Magic skills and to become powerful dark wizards. John also knew that it was necessary to attend Hogwarts, for he would gain the experience necessary to begin his Dark Magic studies, also all his childhood he had listen to all his family saying how Hogwarts was a castle fillled with many secrets, and that excited him. It was on the Hogwarts Express that he and his cousin met James Drew Rosier, who would become their life-long friend, and whom would join them in their many adventures through the years. The three of them managed to get into Slytherin which, like John had thought, helped him expand his Dark Magic abilities. Abilities that obviously he trained in secret, because if he was caught, he would have surely been expelled form Hogwarts. He always had great grades, which was not a surprise considering his intelligent and skillful personality, even though he had some "distractions" such as the pranks he played on muggle-born students alongside his friend James Rosier and his cousin Patrick Valeth; and his girlfriend Lisa Oswald, also a Slytherin, that he dated since the third to seventh grade. Despite loving his girlfriend, John never really told her about what he did in secret, namely his research on Dark Arts, D.A.D.A and Transfiguration this one beeing trained by him in order to become an Animagus. He really loved the afternoons he spent with her, just kissing, cuddling and talking, but if he had had any major breakthrough in his research, he would have just left her on her own to learn this knowledge, and if possible (since it could have been magic too powerful for his age and experience) to practice it. Following his friend James's example, he decided to join the Dark Followers, for John thought this would help him gaining more experience in dueling and dark magic, also he kind of liked fighting all of the muggle-borns. He also had a very close relation with all teachers, including the Headmaster, who all loved him, John believed this was the best way to retrieve some of the forbidden knowledge, the professors couldn't and wouldn't teach in classes. He graduated being one of the school's top students, and secretly one powerful dark wizard for his age.

Adulthood: Reaching adulthood, after taking the trip around the world as recently graduated wizards students do, John decided he needed to conclude his life-long research, and to do that he needed to: terminate his relationship with his girlfriend, it was a very heart-breaking thing to do, but it had to be done since she was a liability, and to go and work in the Department of Mysteries as his parents once did, so he could research freely, without being bothered or interrogated by anyone. He is also intending to join the Death Eaters ranks.

BEHIND THE CHARACTER

ALSO KNOWN AS: John

RP EXPERIENCE: 1-2 years a few years ago...

HOW YOU FOUND US: A friend

MAIN CHARACTER: John Valeth

PURPOSE OF CHARACTER: Fun

RP SAMPLE:
Spoiler:

Last edited by John Valeth on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
John Valeth
John Valeth
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 29
Special Abilities : Animagus-in-training

Back to top Go down

VALETH, John Empty Re: VALETH, John

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Hey,

I've read your app, but I do have some concerns. Can you modify him a bit please?

First, he's similar in a lot of ways to James Rosier. Can you differentiate him a bit? He might physically look different, but there's a lot about his core personality, etc, that is too close to Rosier. This guy needs to be his own person.

Second, he's too powerful for 19. "Powerful, Very skilled and resourceful"--perhaps qualify that a bit? He could be powerful, skilled and resourceful for his age, but he comes off as being entirely too powerful for being a fairly recent grad.

He's had access to too many wizarding secrets, knowledge that more seasoned wizards would have, etc. Please dial that back.

And I don't see enough vulnerabilities in him. He's too flawless, and he needs to be a bit more human.

Thanks!

Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 22298
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by John Valeth Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:23 am

Hi! No disrespect meant but I' d like not to change the personality, if you don't mind, because ooc I'm actually James' friend and he was the one that talked me into returning to PA after all these years. I liked it back then, so I decided to give it another try since I have some free time now... And one of the things we both agreed when he told me his idea, was that both of us plus another friend that will play my cousin ic, would be dark wizards, that had common goals, and would be best friends, and let's face it, you usually are best friends with people that have a similar personality to yours... When I was writting the personality bit, what I had in mind was what J.K. had wrote about Death Eaters and Voldemort, picking a bit of both and I came up with that... If you really want me to change it I will, but I think that for me, that character just wouldn't feel the same, and as much fun to roleplay with.
As for the "powerful, very skilled and resourceful" I meant like you said, for his age... A bit like Hermione, that was very powerful skilled and resourceful, due to her passion for studying and knowledge. Like I said in the history, all his life he has been interested on Dark Magic and related stuff, he has gained that interest from his parents, that being Dark Wizards, would teach him and foment his quest for power and darkness... All of that besides the research he had done in Hogwarts troughout the years... I don't mean to make him O.P., because he his only "great" in D.A. and D.A.D.A. which he spent all his life learning since he longed for them... As for the other subjects he is as good as someone who studies and likes to obtain knowledge... I've always heard and related since I was little to the sentence "Knowledge is power", and I kind of had that in mind while writing the character's bio... I also think he isn't quite done yet, thus why he wishes to go and work in the Department of Mysteries, so he can keep pursuing his need for knowledge in the Dark Arts in order to become powerful and ultimately feared by those around him... As for the flaws, I'll do my best to add more! I've tried to demonstrate that in order not to having vulnerabilities he had broke up with the love of his life, showing a bit of his humane personality, and for Dark Wizards, love would be considered one major liability, and I was planning to explore this particular liability in the future. I hope I have explained well my point of view, and that I can do the necessary changes to start enjoying PA!

Best Regards!
John Valeth
John Valeth
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by John Valeth Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:51 am

Btw, I did add a few lines to his personality! And I tried to make him more humane... I'm hoping to explore more of that in the future, it's all part of the plan Wink

Cheers!
John Valeth
John Valeth
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:36 pm

You haven't thought about who he is, really. He has a lot of plot potential which is great but you need to think about the bits of his personality that make him redeemable. I am sure even Voldemort had a favourite pair of socks and Lucius loved his family - redeeming factors make a character. He needs to be more fleshed out - does he like strawberry jam, does he like skiing but hate beach holidays, etc.? We need to see him as he is going to be now because if not we can't trust he's going to evolve appropriately in rp.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:47 pm

I am going to stick to something I mentioned last night. It is not possible or realistic that wizards working in the department of mysteries would have been allowed to pass on governmental secrets to a child. there certainly would have been safeguards on those things, and, if his parents had tried to do so, the Unspeakables surely would have killed his parents for treason and would have obliterated john's memories. Plus, dark wizards would not have told their most powerful magic secrets to a child. that's not how that works. you do still have to dial that back. I can't accept the app with him having that much advanced information.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by John Valeth Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:02 pm

edited!
John Valeth
John Valeth
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:40 pm

he's definitely a lot better. thank you. that did help a lot. the only thing that I think he's missing is a bit of the detail that helps us to get to know him as a person.

for example, take a look at one of PA's new bad guys, Gideon Pierce. (Yeah, its my app, but it was what came to mind first....my bad. Sorry.) Look at the detail in likes and dislikes. its that sort of personal preference stuff that helps us to get a sense about him.

Help us get to see him a bit. Does he prefer Earl Grey and hate Green Tea? Is his favorite dish Steak Tartare? Does he prefer wools to linens? Are we more likely to see him with a cigarette? Or a pipe? Is he happier with snow or with rain or with summer heat? Give me a few of those things and then I'll probably shut it about him. ROFL
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by John Valeth Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Edited again! Hopefully for the last time! Smile  
John Valeth
John Valeth
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 pm

much better. thank you. I can accept him now.

accepted and sorted to grads
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top