Mother-Daughter Letters
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Mother-Daughter Letters Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Mother-Daughter Letters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mother-Daughter Letters Empty Mother-Daughter Letters

Post by Amelia Cooper Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:59 pm

I decided that I wanted to make a topic where I can interact between my two characters (Hallie and Amelia) without having to do full on threads by myself. Of course there will be times when Hallie and Amelia are in group threads together or times when a thread will be needed, however I decided that the pair writing to each other will be a good way to keep up with their lives.
Each post will be a separate letter to the other so it's really just for me to make their relationship actually real rather than just in words. Feel free to read Smile

- - - - - - - -

Amelia walked from the window in her office. Her new office for now she was a Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It had all happened so fast that she hadn't even had time to inform her daughter Hallie that she no longer was staying at Cooper Cottage and was renting it out to muggles on vacation in the Lake District. However that wasn't entirely true. Amelia did have the time to tell Hallie but her daughter was so wrapped up in her own life and auror training that Amelia didn't want to intrude. She wanted Hallie to be happy, however she couldn't put off telling her daughter forever - what if Hallie dropped by the cottage and found a bunch of strangers casually getting ready for a hike around the moors. No. She needed to tell Hallie.

Sitting down at her desk that had a great view out of the seventh floor window to the grounds and surrounding mountains Amelia dipped her quill into the ink and began to write the following words:

Amelia wrote:

Dear Hallie,

I hope that you're very well, I really do miss living with you yet I can't keep you with me forever, no matter how hard I try. I hope that everything is going well in the auror department and that you're working hard and finding time to clean your apartment in Diagon Alley! You really can't be living in a pigsty, what if you take a gentleman back. On the topic of gentlemen I am guessing that you've heard about the new marriage law. I personally don't think it will work out so I'm just going to sit and watch the whole situation play out - nobody will live up to your Father. I hope that you find someone before you receive your letter and if push comes to shove then I hope the Ministry partner you with someone you happen to love.

I also have some news for you sweetie. You will no longer see me on odd occasions around the Ministry as I no longer work there - before you jump to conclusions I didn't get sacked I decided to take up a new job offer: Professor of Charms and Head of Ravenclaw House at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. If only it had been a year sooner I would have gotten to teach you! Of course I won't be spending time in the family cottage so during term time I have decided to rent it out to Muggles, you know how popular of a tourist destination the Lakes is. Hopefully you wont be mad but if you do need any of your belongings that were still at the house then feel free to write to me and I can send them from my office at Hogwarts.

Remember to stay true to yourself and whatever happens with the marriage law you will always have your Mother to comfort you and help you through it. Although I do doubt that it will take place, but I have been wrong before about Ministry intentions. Stay well and please do keep me updated with what is going on in your life.

Lots of Love
Mum.

Dotting her final full stop Amelia folded the piece of parchment, tidied her ink, stationary and scrap parchment away before leaving her office to head for the owlery to send her letter with one of the school owls. Perhaps it would have been a good idea to purchase an owl of her own at the Eeylopes Owl Emporium.

Last edited by Amelia Cooper on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amelia Cooper
Amelia Cooper

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Mother-Daughter Letters Empty Re: Mother-Daughter Letters

Post by Hallie Cooper Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Hallie had got in from another hectic day at work. There had been so much paperwork to get sorted, what with the new marriage law; the department of magical law really was run off of their feet. In addition to that Hallie still hadn't heard back from Audrianna about her Father's watch.

Waiting for her on the window ledge outside of her window was a barn owl holding a letter, a letter that had her name on it. Opening the window she took the letter and petting the owl playfully before it flew off into the distance.

The letter was sealed with a Hogwarts stamp and, expecting it to be from Maura, Hallie opened it nonchalantly before dropping the envelope. That was her Mother's handwriting. What was her Mother doing sending a letter from Hogwarts? Hallie sat on the sofa by the window and began to read through the message from her Mother.

As usual her Mother has badgering her about keeping tidy. Despite living in separate houses she still couldn’t get away from that.

Oh the marriage law. It was enough that she had to deal with the paperwork at work now she was subjected to reading about it at home. It was true, aruror’s are workaholics and they simply can’t leave their work in the workplace.  Hallie shared a different view than her Mother. Being in the department she was beginning to have a sense of importance about the Marriage Law, even though she wasn’t sure on the Ministry’s intentions for the Law she was sensing that it would become serious given that an Azkaban sentence was there to pressure people into abiding by it – something that Hallie thought was extreme seeing as Azkaban was usually a place for murders and criminal masterminds.

‘WHAT?’ Hallie cried as she came to the part about the letter. No! No this couldn’t be! Her Mother at Hogwarts? There is where Toby had been sent to and on top of that she was teaching charms, a subject Toby would most defiantly be doing. Hallie’s blood pressure began to rise and she sprang from her spot on the sofa before pacing around the living room wracking her brains out with questions. Had her Mother met Toby yet? Was Toby going to mention that he had been staying with Hallie? Would the truth come out that Hallie sent him away? Was her Mother going to exile or hate her? It was too much Hallie, she had intended to read the letter and reply tomorrow but this needed an urgent response. So urgent that she had already began to take out money to purchase an owl from Eeylops owl emporium in order to send the letter tonight.

Hallie wrote:

Hi Mum.

Yeah I know the marriage law is a real pain lately, I feel like all I’m doing at work is paper work dedicated to this silly law. I wouldn’t hold your breath though Elijah Krum seems to be pressing it as an urgent task to enforce it. I am not too bothered who my partner is, I’ll sign a paper and if I don’t get on with them then I will just have nothing to do with them.

Mum. Why didn’t you tell me that you had even applied for a job at Hogwarts let alone got it? Please, I don’t think you should be doing that what if the Cottage gets robbed? The muggles have no way of knowing where you are. Please just come home I will move back in with you if needs be! Hogwarts isn’t safe, it was a miracle that I survived remember what happened to my friend Maura in the shrieking shack? It’s not safe and it’s not for you. You’ll be lonely and miss your friends. Please just quit and come back to work at the Ministry!

Love you too
Hal

It was extremely untidy and rushed in addition Hallie wasn’t sure how her reaction would be read by her Mum. She had tried to throw in as many reasons for her Mum to leave as possible, even if some of them were a ludicrous like the cottage being burgled.  Hallie had wanted to put in that she had been mugged and needed care but didn’t want to worry her Mum to that extent, if needs be that would be plan B.

Sealing the letter she hurried downstairs onto the cobbled alley – leaving her front door wide open – and hurried to the Owl Emporium, purchased the largest owl (named Barney) and gave him the letter that would hopefully reach her Mother by that evening.  All Hallie could hope was that Toby was scheduled to have charms on his first day.

Last edited by Hallie Cooper on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hallie Cooper
Hallie Cooper
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 927
Special Abilities : Non-Verbal Magic, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Cooper Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:31 pm

That evening Amelia had been lay in bed after sending her letter early that morning. A large barn owl with a letter tied around it's ankle was pecking at her window. It didn't wake her, Amelia didn't sleep much, she simply lay there. Thoughtless.

Swinging her legs from under the midnight blue covers (which matched the Ravenclaw decor of the room) she placed them into her tartan slippers and headed over to the window. Opening the window carefully not to push the owl from the sill she took the letter, gave the owl a biscuit from the tin on her bedside table and watched it fly off - closing the window after it.

The letter was from, as she expected, her daughter Hallie. It appeared she had become more swift with her replies rather than the ten days delay. It also appeared working as an auror had greatly hindered her handwriting, this simply was a mess.

Reading it she shook her head. Hallie always was one to complain and things she thought 'silly'. What was more bizarre about the letter was how much she seemed to detest the idea of her Mum working at Hogwarts. In the past Amelia would have dropped out to please her daughter, but her daughter was an adult now and Amelia was going to do something for her. Hogwarts was the place for her, she wasn't going to sit at home in the cottage alone without thought. Amelia needed to keep herself occupied, try and rediscover who she was.

Taking her wand and lighting the candlelit desk lamp Amelia got to work on her short reply to Hallie.

Amelia wrote:
Dear Hallie

The Cottage will not get robbed and I have handed over the keys to the tourist information point in the village so they will deal with bookings and such like, I simply just collect the money at the end of the year.

I don't want you to worry about me. Coming to Hogwarts is a good thing and nothing bad will happen to me, I'll be away from whoever they partner me with in the marriage law (if it is enforced after all, I am still apprehensive about it despite what you say) and I am here to keep an eye on Maura so she shouldn't be getting herself into trouble as usual!

Keep well.
Lots of Love.
Mum.

Folding the piece of parchment up and placing it under he desk lamp Amelia extinguished it, closed the curtains and clambered back into bed. She would send it in the morning.

---

OOC: Amelia forgets to send it.
Amelia Cooper
Amelia Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Hallie Cooper Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Hallie swept into her flat above Madame Malkins, taking pleasure in slamming the door behind her. What a day she'd had! The Auror knew fill well that today was going to be gruelling but after meeting how rude her partner was at 9 am in the office of Elijah Krum Hallie had been cast into a foul mood. Despite being 'engaged' she didn't have anyone to talk to. The friends she'd made at work weren't friends, they were simply that: work colleuges. No. She needed to send two letters, one to Maura and one to her Mum.

Hallie wrote:Hi Mum,

I hope everything is going okay at Hogwarts. I haven't heard back from you for days now. Please let me know if anything happens, don't leave me clueless down here in Diagon Alley. Although i may not be here much longer.

Today I had my meeting with Elijah Krum and Ana Levski. They introduced me to my partner, who happens to be Theodore Rookwood. I really hope this isn't awkward for us with him being your boss, please believe me when I say I never asked for this! Not to offend you but he seemed to be a right swine about the whole thing, nobody is happy about the marriage law but he could have been a bit more polite to his future wife!

Oh gosh. Even saying that makes my stomach churn a bit. I'm not ready to get married, it's too soon for me! I wanted to settle down with someone I love like you did with Dad. Let me know when you hear back about your partner. I guess the only advantage in this is that I will have an excuse to visit Hogwarts to see you and Maura when I visit my 'husband'.

Love Hal

Sealing the piece of parchment in an envelope she began to write her letter to a second correspondence: Maura Goldstein.
Hallie Cooper
Hallie Cooper
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Cooper Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Amelia was enjoying breakfast at the staff table. Although you could hardly call it enjoyment. It was the first time that she had been in the Great Hall since yesterdays charms class, the class where she had found her sons name on her register. Her son who she blieved to be dead - they had even had a memorial for him upon the anniversary of the day he'd first diseappered. Yet, here his name was appearing on her register? It didn't make sense.

As she spooned the porridge into her mouth Amelia was scanning the hall for her son. She had looked up and down each table: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Whichever house she was in then Amelia wouldn't care, she would be glad he was alive and safe. Or was he? Maybe it had bee a misprint, a coincidental misprint?

Amelia had arrived at the great hall late after spending time in her office deciding whether to go down or not - it could be awkward if her and Toby bumped into each other in front of the entire school. If he was here of course. Despite her hopes when she had saw his name Toby never turned up for charms, nor was he in The Great Hall. It was possible that he had skipped class for a legitimate reason and had already dined, but, Amelia had new hope in her that hadn't been there for five years. Her son could be alive!

Splosh. Her goblet of orange juice had spilt into her bowl of porridge. The culprit: a big barn owl named Barney. Hallie's owl. Firstly pushing her bowl to one side and standing the goblet up Amelia took the letter and then let him peck at a few cornflakes in a nearby bowl.

Don't leave me clueless? Why would Hallie feel she was being left out of something? Unless, unless she knew something? Maybe working at the Minsitry in the department of magical law had resulted in her finding out something. Did Hallie know something about Toby? No. Surely not. Hallie no doubt would have told her if anything had cropped up of his whereabouts, would she not?

Upon reading the next paragraph Amelia opened her mouth slightly, her eyebrows contracted into a frown and her eyes peered down the table to the center (Amelia had chosen to sit on the end today). Theodore Rookwood was eating without a care in the world. The headmaster hadn't spoken to her, come over to inform Amelia that he would be her son-in-law. Unless of course he and Hallie had agreed that she would tell her Mother. No doubt Hallie would have wanted to.

Getting out a piece of parchment and a quill from her bag Amelia began to respond to Hallie.

Amelia wrote:Dear Hallie,

I think it would be better if you were to come to Hogwarts as soon as possible. We will be able to talk over a few things - about the wedding of course. Theodore isn't a 'swine' as you put it, perhaps when you get to know him you will find he is infact a rather polite man.

Oh goodness I can't believe you would be worried about my reaction It's not as though you chose him! I guess I didn't believe this marriage law would come into action and here it is, you and Professor Rookwood.

I don't want you to worry about anything sweetie! Come up to Hogwarts as soon as you get the chance and we will talk over tea.

Let me know when you will be coming.
Lots of love
Mum x
Sealing the letter in an envelope she reached inside of her bag and sealed it with her Hogwarts sealing stap, wrote Hallie's name on the front and handed it to... Oh. It appeared Barney had flew off, which mean't she would have to take a trip to the owlery before classes. Then after that the Headmasters Office.

Amelia wanted a word with Theodore Rookwood before Hallie arrived. Not only to discuss the fact they would soon be family but to question Toby Cooper being on her register.
Amelia Cooper
Amelia Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Hallie Cooper Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Soon she would be getting married for the first time. Hallie liked to think it was the first time because this time it was through choice. Initially the marriage had been arranged, produced in order to serve a purpose, for the sake of a law. Now, now it was different. For Hallie and Theodore it was a fresh start, a chance to really experience a marriage formed and built upon love. Sure the farce with Matrimonium Legem had introduce them to each other, allowed them to get to know each other but neither the pair wanted that to be what their child would know of his parents. For Hallie she wanted to tell her child, who was still growing inside of her, that her Father had proposed the day he discovered she was pregnant. The wedding would be small, nothing as extravagant as their first, as neither needed extended family or people they didn't know. All they needed in that moment was each other.

She had read somewhere that most marriages end in divorce, people get married again and move on from the first marriage. For Hallie that was true, her first marriage was over and her second would soon begin, although it wasn't a sad time for Hallie knew the second time would be the last time. She'd forgotten the meaning of the word 'perfect' for Theodore had scratched the word out of her life and replaced it with his own name. Theodore wasn't perfect, yet, that's what made him perfect. That's what made Hallie's world go round. She knew she could love him for the rest of her life and now they would soon be married and be starting a family of their own. By choice. Perhaps people would think the trainee auror is following the amended clause 12? Hallie didn't care what they thought, for her pregnancy was a choice and that is all that mattered. The law mean't nothing to her. The law could be scraped for all she cared. Her love for Theodore was stronger than ever.

However one thing Hallie hadn't done was inform Amelia, heck she didn't even know if her Mother knew that the pair had fell out again in the first place. Dipping her quill into a pot of black ink Hallie lightly began to write...

Hallie wrote:

Hi Mum.

I haven't told anyone this, not even Maura yet. I wanted you to be the first to hear. Me and Theodore are getting marriage, which sounds confusing and incredible and random at the same time, but this time is the last time. I'm in love with him, he makes me feel warm and wonderful, he's the missing piece in my life since Dad died. The marriage may be the second, to some people they will probably think that it is a vow renewal but we don't want our marriage stemming from some stupid law. We want it to come from us. To come from love.

There is also something I've been meaning to tell you. I'm also writing to Toby and Maura to tell them the news too. I'm eight weeks pregnant. It wasn't a quick decision. Theodore and I gave ourselves time to think and we know it is right for us, it may not be perfect timing but when exactly is that? Two years after qualifying after an auror? We're not doing it because of the new marriage law clause, we're doing out of a choice and no stupid law is pressuring us.

I just wanted you to know and be aware we're not doing out of pressure from the ministry, we've thought it all through, we know exactly what we're going to do.

Congratulations you're going to be a Grandma.

Love you
Hallie x

Hallie Cooper
Hallie Cooper
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top