Need help with a few things
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Need help with a few things Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Need help with a few things

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help with a few things Empty Need help with a few things

Post by Aurora Nye Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Okay so, I have a few dreams I'm gunna need help to make happen.

My first dream is to enter something in a contest, (a drawing to be exact) But right now i need some Ideas so I can work on them.

The second dream is that I want to win a national spelling bee. Ive gotten 3rd place in the county so next year ima try for first and goto state and all but I need you all to post sites with words that I can study (perferably 8-12th grade level words)

And my third dream is to get some poems published but I need help figuring what Ima write about so I need some topics. thanx alot

Also! Tell me if you think i should enter the pic below in a contest. (i won 1st with it at a fair so Im gunna have to make a new one for the competitions)

Need help with a few things BW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDIxMTIwMTExNzM4MjMuanBn
Aurora Nye
Aurora Nye
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 2250
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

Need help with a few things Empty Re: Need help with a few things

Post by Caelani Bittel Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:14 pm

If you're between 8th & 12th grade, I think the picture shown is a little bit simplistic unless you have a really impressive explanation of your idea and working process.

When you make art, it's always best to document your process. That's why they make you write art log books at school. It gives you a kind of well of ideas to draw from and when you have to present your work it makes it easier to explain what your aim was.

If you're set on drawing, you should start out with some life drawings. It's pretty much the way every good sketch artist starts out. It's easier to draw stylised creations if you already know the real proportions of the object you're drawing.
Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 469
Special Abilities : unforgivables

Back to top Go down

Post by Gackt Kazama Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:53 pm

I beg to differ about the life drawings, not every stech artist starts out like that. while its good to know about the real proportions of such drawings while drawing an object it often is does not leave room for creativity and gets a bit mundane. also if this is a contest everyone and their mother will be doing life drawings, ive been in one before and the ones that stand out are the ones that are diffrent and have something that catch the eye and attention. but thats just my two cents worth.
now i do agree that she needs to document her process so that if anyone asks her during the contest what her process was she can tell them clearly and intelligently. also i like her drawing a great deal.
Gackt Kazama
Gackt Kazama

Number of posts : 511

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurora Nye Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 am

@Caelani
Well... Between 8th to 12th grade thing was what kind of words I’m working on or the bee.... Art is only something that expressed you. They won’t make me log all of the processes like you think they were. When I made this I was in the 4th grade so... I’m planning on making a new and improves version. That’s my favorite drawing because that was a time that I loved it so very much and I didn’t worry about what people think..

And my art work is my free will. I don’t do it at school that way I don’t have people all up in my grill watching me work all day. My goal for now is to become more creative and I’ve been doing that by working with different color combos. I’ve noticed more and more people have become sad and depressed so if I made another version of the work I would make one that’s sad and I like fire colors so I’d use those colors like orange red and yellow. I also think that my definition of art is different from yours.

What do you mean by life drawings? Do you mean like draw things about my life or something? Cause if you do then that would make me a terrible artist. That’s not exactly the type of thing I work with. I’m the type of person who likes drawing made up things. Whenever I sketch, I sketch things that express my art. I make a unique kind of art that makes me very different. My favorite thing to make is an eyeball with tentacles coming from it all over. I got 2nd place when I entered that.

I also work with taking pictures like from spongebob or some other kind of cartoon and making my own version of it. Its just who I am.

@ Gackt
I totally agree with you.

You guys art isnt something you just document everything about. Art is only art if you enjoyed doing it. I may start up making a sort of journal with techniques for art and all so that I can read it for future references and all but for now i would like to do things the way I already do.

Aurora Nye
Aurora Nye
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caelani Bittel Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:44 am

Aurora, 8th to 12th grade indicates your age range. Generally, in these things you're being judged against people who are around the same age as you.

Life drawing is when you draw people or things from life. That is, you try to draw it as accurately as you can when you see it.

And I don't know if you know but I am a professional artist. The advice I gave you is professional advice. If you want to just enter competitions with work you enjoy doing to see how well you can go, then what you're already doing is probably fine. If you want to challenge yourself and improve as an artist, then you need to start with the basics even if you don't like learning them.

I'm not even very good at life drawing myself. I only started learning because all the best animators have a background in fine arts.
Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurora Nye Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:26 am

I dont know if you knew but I happen to have no one to teach me the basics. Everything I know of art is from my experiances of practice. I havent had someone to teach me in over 6 years and I dont have any of the basic s*** i need to know and it just so happens that you dont need to learn anything to make art. If I did become an artist (which knowing me that'll never happen) then people would see me as someone unique. I dont need to learn the basics I dont need to know this and that and everything about art. All I need to know is what expresses me. And what expresses me is the way I do my art. No matter what people say I do art my way. I dont do life drawings because I dont like making realistic things. I like making my own things and teaching myself ways to make my things come to life,

I also dont know if you knew that I happen to know people who are professional artists and I know people who are studying the basics and crap but they suck at art. Learning the basics doenst mean crap to me and thats just all.

My range when it comes to school is 8th to 12th but my mind and imagination is ranged to a 5th to 7th level. Thats because I'm not serrious of learning to make things exactly as they are. I like adding things and most people my age make it exact or they give up. I try my way and thats all. Im done here. Never mind about help I will just enter nothing and thats final. I just wont enter anything since what I'm doing is so wrong and unprofessional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aurora Nye
Aurora Nye
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caelani Bittel Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:35 am

I'm not going to suddenly agree with you or beg you to change your mind just because you throw a tantrum, Aurora. If you want to go in the competition, you'll do it. Saying you won't just because I told you what I think doesn't make me feel guilty.

Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurora Nye Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:44 am

I was only asking for help is cause I want to be somebody.. I want to be known to the world. But never mind anyways. I shouldnt have tried. When I'm older I will just get a job as a walmart cashier or something... I guess I depend to much on other people to make my dreams come true or something
Aurora Nye
Aurora Nye
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caelani Bittel Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:45 am

Got that right. You want your dreams to come true you got to put in the hard slog yourself.
Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurora Nye Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:48 am

Dreams are stupid. Im never gunna dream of becoming anything cause my dreams wont ever come true... I have a longer list of stupid things to dream about than I ever had of dreams i want to come true
Aurora Nye
Aurora Nye
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top