Connect Your Characters - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Connect Your Characters - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Connect Your Characters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Connect Your Characters - Page 2 Empty Re: Connect Your Characters

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 am

I'm going to try address everything.

There is a problem with people not allowing their characters to be weak. However, that will always be the bane of every RPer's existence, and cannot be fixed, really. Unless people who have this tendency learn to recognize and adjust it. What I will do is PM someone saying "If you let my character do this, I will definitely let you have a thread where your character can do this."

@ Jon - Try to get a member base, and then send admins a proposal. That's a cool idea! I'll offer you two of my characters to be involved in the club, and one to be against.

And I think the idea for the coffee room is brilliant. I also suggest sending that to an admin. A tiny little subforum shouldn't be too big of a problem.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sullivan Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 am

My thing is to do what my character does and to do it well, and what he sucks at, he sucks at. With Brian, he is a prankster through and through, who is also good at Quidditch. His main skill is running away from his pranks or using sneak attacks. The fact of the matter is, if someone came up to him one on one, he would probably lose any type of one on one confrontation. ( He is notoriously lazy and doesn't do homework so his magic skills aren't great. ) So I have to pick and choose my battles wisely. The thing is, I have been trying to cause a lot of IC chaos lately if you guys haven't noticed, mostly because I want it to be spread.

I mean I have attacked Slytherin twice with fireworks and have been hitting on every girl I see. That's the kind of stuff that would be spread around Hogwarts. Back to what Jackles was saying, I don't have to be in the thread to be discussed, I want my actions to reflect all over Hogwarts. I want guys coming after me for hitting on their girlfriends/crush, I want Slytherin's to take revenge on my for my actions, and I don't want to plot it darn it. I want some peeved off Slytherin to see one of my open threads and come in for revenge!

So really I think people should plot less and just go with things, especially at Hogwarts, where anything can happen. You never know how your character is going to react until they get into a situation with another character, and you guys were talking about trusting people more if you know them OOC, well what better way to get to know someone than to write with them?

On the subject of not "losing" the writer really needs to analyze the situation OOC. Are they older, are they stronger, do they have experience, the list goes on and on. Brian isn't going to "win" any duels or fights, but where he lacks in that, he gains in overall bravery and fearlessness and a never give up attitude. Its a balance, you see, I cannot win fights but I keep going back for more. So you have to find, and stick with, what your character is actually good at. I see people breaking character all the time and being either much wittier, smarter, or stronger than they would be in another post just to get an upper hand.

Accountability people.

OK, sorry, I may be sleep and this may have been a rant about nothing.
Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 279

Back to top Go down

Post by Albus S Potter Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:50 am

Agree with Brian. Personally, I feel it also depends on the character I'm playing. Like I said, I wouldn't mind Rika looking like a twat at the end of the day, coz realistically if she actually existed, she would end up in that situation a number of times. But, say if I was playing Bellatrix Lestrange, I would be hard-pressed to look like an idiot in front of any random character. The most important thing for me is to stay true to my character, and if my character is a weakling like Wormtail, well then, I'll have to do justice to it. I can't possibly make him win now, can I?

So yes, Jackles probably has the best solution. Interact more as yourselves, and agree beforehand on who's going to win a particular fight. I also think people need to start making less "I-am-cool-therefore-I-smirk-all-the-time" charries, and more realistic people. Just my two cents. Razz

And subforum=awesomeness Very Happy
Albus S Potter
Albus S Potter
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 454
Special Abilities : Parseltongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Olawale Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:56 am

Let me clarify. I don't mean to say that "Since Jack wins this duel, I'll let her suddenly lose in this one, even though she clearly has the upperhand." But I recognize some people don't want to have characters constantly being bested, so I'll say "If you really want to explore Andy's stronger side, after he loses this battle, feel free for him to beat up on this other character of mine, because she's a total pushover."

The problem is that we're looking at metagaming, gomodding, etc, which all comes from a lack of skill, which we can;t suddenly correct. There are weaker RPers, and the best thing to do is point out when they are insisting their character is more powerful than they really are.

I've been trying the same thing, Charlie, with my Henri character. She took a love potion and fell in love with a statue ; she started a Spin the Bottle game ; she openly flirts with her friends' crushes. But none of this has gone beyond those threads. It's aggravating. Hence, this thread. XD
Oliver Olawale
Oliver Olawale
Sixth Year Hufflepuff
Sixth Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 210
Special Abilities : Leglimancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sullivan Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 am

I use smirking all the time in my posts, I cannot help it, it just flows out. I know better than to use the same thing over and over again, but it is so tried and true, I cannot stop myself!

*Smirks*

AHHHHH

But it sounds like this Henri girl needs to meet Brian. Shenanigans will be had.
Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henri Finch Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:08 am

You start a thread and I'll be there. I started the last one. XD
Henri Finch
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 241

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sullivan Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:18 am

https://www.pottersarmy.net/t16514-breakfast-club#362715

Two naughty students in detention.

Heh heh, allllllllright. ( Quagmire.... that was Quagmire. )
Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 am

Also, guys. Look : https://www.pottersarmy.net/t16526-why-even-are-we-rebellingquestionmark

A post clearing up Rebels/Ministry stance. =D
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jemma Tiquelle Sun May 12, 2013 4:52 pm

For all those who liked the idea of a coffee room:

Presenting, the Staff Lounge! I've already started an open thread here, if anyone likes. (https://www.pottersarmy.net/t16589-one-lunchtime)
Or just post other threads!
Make the admins glad they created the new subforum SmileSmile.

Connect Your Characters - Page 2 Qw9nLyk
~ enjoying her sixties ~ divination professor & head of hufflepuff ~ single ~ seer ~
~ biography ~ thread tracker ~

Set made by me. Want one? Accepting requests here.
Jemma Tiquelle
Jemma Tiquelle
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 6601
Special Abilities : Seer, Occlumens, Apparation and Astral Projection.

http://www.zazzle.com/magicalmalteaser*

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top