[OPEN] Don’t Count on Me, I’ll Do It Again
The Staff Team
Khaat
Matt
Jackles
Addie
Welcome to Potter’s Army

WELCOME BACK, ALUMNI! Potter’s Army is a roleplaying site that's been up and running since 2007. We have just revamped the site for an AU version of our previous PA adventures, with our old writing buddies.

The current IC year 2022.

[OPEN] Don’t Count on Me, I’ll Do It Again

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[OPEN] Don’t Count on Me, I’ll Do It Again Empty [OPEN] Don’t Count on Me, I’ll Do It Again

Post by Jack Dyllan on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:01 am

Having Binns lead detention was a special sort of torture. The professor had more or less been forced out of his position as History of Magic professor because of how many students went comatose under his influence. Grades had picked up once they had hired a professor with actual life to him (sue me) but Binns was such a fixture that he filled in the gaps as needed. Having him substitute a class meant students could catch up on sleep, and it also meant he could take other tasks the professors didn’t feel like doing.

Such as chaperoning Jack Dyllan at detention.

It was only week two somehow. This detention was the last in a string of detentions she had earned for rushing Malfoy and commandeering Care of Magical Creatures. Though she still said she’d do it again, she looked awful. Detention meant later Quidditch practices, and she refused to take a day off from her private, early morning sessions. Her lip was still a bit swollen from her scuffle with Matt, and she was sporting a massive bruise on her forearm from a rogue Bludger. She didn’t often get hit. She used to purposefully get hit so she couldn’t be taken by surprise, but it had been awhile since one had actually nailed her hard enough to leave a mark. It wasn’t a mark of failure so much as it was a mark of her exhaustion.

Further disrupting her sleep was her somehow already slipping grades. She knew she could catch up enough to take it easy, but it meant that her sleep had dropped to a dangerous four hours for the past three nights. Not that she’d let anyone catch her yawning. She was still domineering at practice, still coming up with ways to tease Hayes, and she still moved with a brisk confidence through the halls.

But God she was tired.

It wasn’t what she had wanted for her seventh year. She thought it was supposed to be a light year, full of laughter, with professors letting them off easy and friends realizing what was important. But everyone had returned in a panic, with no plans for the future but the determination to have it figured out by graduation. She couldn’t have paid her fellow seventh years to take it easy and just enjoy their last few months. She knew she wasn’t exactly friends with any of them, but she had figured they might have some sense of camaraderie seeing as they’d probably never see each other again come summer.

She guessed she had underestimated her classmates. And she didn’t think that was possible.

Something she didn’t underestimate, however, was Binns. Detention had only started ten minutes prior but he must have amplified the clock, because she could hear every tick, every tock. It was simultaneously putting her to sleep and making her go mad - and one she needed desperately more than the other.

But he wouldn’t let her.

Her chin was on her hands, digging into them in the hopes of keeping her awake, but her eyelids were sliding down, the room was growing fuzzy, her heartbeat was swelling in her ears-

“No sleeping or you’ll be back tomorrow.”

Jack sighed, a hint of her exhaustion lining her voice as she ventured, “Does that mean you’ll let me sleep as long as I come back tomorrow?”

“Thursday, Ms Dyllan, you’re scheduled to be back through Wednesday. And no.”

He didn’t even look at her. She let out a sigh, reminding herself that defeat was not a good look for her.

Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 152

View user profile

Back to top Go down

[OPEN] Don’t Count on Me, I’ll Do It Again Empty Re: [OPEN] Don’t Count on Me, I’ll Do It Again

Post by Juliet Thruston on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Detention had never been a deterrent, but now it was routine. When you removed the “delinquency and disgrace” factor, sitting in a quiet classroom for an hour was hardly a punishment. Even the more strenuous alternatives- cleaning out the paddock or re-organising the potions stockroom- were chores at worst, nothing to get worked up (or fixed up) over.

Even as a First Year, Jet had been bemused by the professors’ dedication to this ineffectual system. The insistence on handing out the same detentions to the same people for the same offences was illogical and a waste of everyone's time, really. At least the unpaid labour detentions had a purpose: they got things done around the castle and put off the particularly lazy or easily intimidated. But these casual sit-downs couldn’t be worth the manpower required for supervision, nor the added stress of Hogwarts’ Finest congregated in one room, bored out of their minds.

Because it was Hogwarts' Finest. The first few weeks tended to be limited to repeat offenders, those who’d grown comfortable in the routine, unafraid of consequences. She'd never been afraid but had long since grown comfortable- the Restricted Section barely even registered as out of bounds anymore, the detentions a permanent schedule fixture. In a rare incidence of surprisingly fanciful thinking, she’d come to consider them the obstacle that accompanied the treasure- every quest had its challenges, every tomb its boobytraps; the cost of arcane knowledge at Hogwarts was detention. Given the alternatives, it was a rather cheap price to pay.

The location changed but the path remained worn, a familiar journey despite the shifting contours. She made a leisurely arrival, pushing open the classroom door with her elbow and interrupting whatever conversation had been occurring with her quiet entrance.

“Sorry, Quidditch practice ran over.”

Even the excuse was rote. Polite but not apologetic, delivered to- oh, Binns, this time- with not a flicker of regret. What was the worst he could do- give her detention?

Manoeuvring her broomstick and schoolbag into the room, she got a clearer shot of her fellow offender and did an uncharacteristic double take. Margo's rundown provided context, but the sight was still a sore one. Garish hair, busted lip, battered arm, haggard face- Jack Dyllan looked objectively awful. No wonder she was the school's current subject of discussion.

Jet took a seat a few spaces across and set her stuff down, glancing over at Jack again as she did so. She wasn't one to pry, worry, or tease, and really, it was none of those things. But because there was an hour of silence to kill, a camaraderie of sorts born of 7 years' worth of shared detentions (so she figured), and nothing Binns could do, so- "Hospital Wing out of beds?"
Juliet Thruston
Juliet Thruston
Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

[OPEN] Don’t Count on Me, I’ll Do It Again Empty Re: [OPEN] Don’t Count on Me, I’ll Do It Again

Post by Jack Dyllan on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 pm

The door opened and Jack took the opportunity to lean back, trying to find some comfort in the hard-back, unyielding chair - which she, again, could not help but believe was intentional.She heard the voice, however, and felt that natural prickle beneath her skin. She couldn’t help it - it’s how she felt about most of the players that she actually thought were good. Christy got a pass, because Jack found her harmless, and Hayes - please, she would never be challenged by him.

But Jet might have been Jack had she been born into money and influence. Jet moved with confidence that she didn’t seem to conjure, that seemed to be imbued into her as a person with a Name. She didn’t use it, because she didn’t have to. Her quiet nature only helped reinforce this. Jet didn’t have to prove anything. Jet didn’t have to do anything.

Jack might have actually been friends with her, if winning wasn’t a zero-sum game. If they could all do well and all be winners, why not? But Jet doing well meant Jack did not, so the distance would exist, a cornerstone of their relationship because it had to be.

Still, she was funny.

“They actually are, yes, I was just visiting the last person who crossed my path. Felt bad about putting them there, but you know how it goes.” She quirked her lips, raising an eyebrow in her signature smirk.

Seventh Year Gryffindor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliet Thruston on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:31 am

Jet did not, in-fact, know how it went. Apart from socking one of the younger and less sober rockstar hangers-on of Orsino's when he'd gotten too close at the label's catastrophic Christmas party, she'd never punched another person before. Never considered it, really. Even that one incident had just been a reflex, cause-and-effect: too close, punch. It hadn't been anger, nor had it been righteous.

She hadn't seen Jack in action, but righteous seemed more her speed than passive.

The pitch was a different story. Even there Jet lacked the fire that drove the Gryffindor, had been on the receiving end of that fire a couple times, when lukewarm wasn't a match for fierce.

So maybe she did know how it went.

The mirrored brow raise across the desks said as much, a silent concession to a reputation earned.

"A visit?" she repeated, and the eyebrow raise took on a different meaning, vaguely impressed but not really, only an imitation of the sentiment. Where Jack's lips quirked Jet's stayed impassive, barely committing to their quip. Lukewarm. "That's generous. Malfoy must've been glad to see you."
Juliet Thruston
Juliet Thruston
Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Dyllan on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 am

News had spread fast. It always did in this castle.

For someone who’s name was often on the lips of her classmates, Jack didn’t really have a pulse on the latest thrills of Hogwarts. She knew everyone (or well, knew how to wind everyone up) and people seemed to know her, but she never stopped long enough for more than an exchange of notes or a reminder of a Quidditch match. Every now and then she found herself beginning to develop some sort of meaningful back and forth with someone, a brave soul who decided to keep pairing up with her in Potions, or a new kid who would sit with her until they found their group. But people didn’t want to stick around and she wasn’t looking to change to keep up with them.

So she didn’t know that the bout with Malfoy had made Hogwarts news. Now that she considered it, though, Margo Richards had been on her comm.

Good. People should know. And people should be scared that she'd do it again.

“Who’s to say there wasn’t another. Let's be fair, at this point I can’t keep track.”

Seventh Year Gryffindor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top