Welcome to Potter’s Army

Potter’s Army is a roleplaying site that's been up and running since 2007. We pride ourselves on fostering a welcoming and helpful community where all levels of writers are accepted.

In this alternate universe, Lord Voldemort is dead, but so is Harry Potter. Factions continue to fight, Hogwarts educates the next generation of witches and wizards, and the Ministry of Magic does its best to hold everything together.

It is 2030 in the Wizarding World

Help us get new members by voting below

Honeydukes Topsites Top 50 RPGs Top RPG Sites
Word Counter

words: 0

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate
Selwyn Thorfinn
23 : Alumnus
NoneDeputy Headmaster
HalfbloodPart Veela
profileplotter
shippertracker
Sel

View user profilehttps://www.etsy.com/au/shop/NovelLane

Where to look for Face Claims

on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 pm
HEYA!

This is my thread of links to resources where I go to look for face claims or look-a-likes (whatever you want to call them).  

I don't always use celeb lookalikes, so some stuff is only good for if you're only wanting an avatar.  If you're going to be like me and use non-celebs make sure your non celebs are available for free use!  The best way to do that is to check the Terms of Service at the website or from the photographer - look for a CC0 creative commons license, no copyright and works in the public domain.

Pinterest
pinterest has different links for different countries, so let me google that for you

Great resource whether you're searching for a specific celeb or just have some features in mind.  They're also amazing at keeping it PG.

Search for

• Character Inspiration
  • Character Inspiration Photography
  • Celeb name - eg: Daniel Radcliffe
  • Physical Features - eg: brown hair, green eyes, girl
  • Portrait Photography + gender

All of them, apart from the last, will usually bring up unused models and celebs.  The Portrait Photography search often brings up lots of shots from photography studios and sometimes people's selfies, so you wanna be careful with that one.

Tumblr
link

In case you don't know, tumblr is a bit more wild than Pinterest.  If you don't want to see something upsetting, try using an advanced google search and put tumblr as the site to search in.

Search for

• playby
  • faceclaim
  • faceclaim help
  • roleplay help (and all the related links) - a lot of these blogs do face claim ideas/help

500px
link

This is like the pinterest for photography and O.M.G.  It's my new favourite place.  I've spent the last two days on there.

Anyhow, if you're looking for character images, you'll want to go to Stock Photo Buyers from the front page.  Don't be put off by the buyers part, you don't need to pay for anything (unless you really want to - some of the photography on this site is worth it).  

On the new page, type in your search (it also gives suggestions like google, which is super useful).  Once that's loaded, uncheck the In Marketplace checkbox.  You do not want royalty free images.  Royalty free means you want to pay (I know, it's confusing).  The options will change, and you can choose which creative commons license you want to use:

CC0 = Yes, you can use these on PA
CC PD = No, you can't use these on PA
CC BY = Yes, you can use these on PA, but you have to credit and link back to the original.
CC BY NC = Yes, you can use these on PA, but you have to credit and link back to the original.
CC BY SA = Technically you could use this on PA, you should read about the license on the Creative Commons website to decide whether you want to.
CC BY ND = You probably can't use this on PA, since the image can't be changed at all.
CC BY NC SA = Technically you could use this on PA, you should read about the license on the Creative Commons website to decide whether you want to.
CC BY NC ND = You probably can't use this on PA, since the image can't be changed at all.

Pixabay
link

Copyright free (CC0) stock images.  You do have to trawl through a bit to find the best, but there is some really good stuff on here if you have the patience.

Unsplash
link

One of my favourite sites.  CC0 high resolution images.  Absolutely gorgeous.

Resource Sites / Other RPs

Some resource sites like Caution (to the wind) and RPG-D have lists of play-bys. Caution actually has a discussion about most used and most wanted faces as well.

Almost every RP has a face claim list. Go have a browse! Get ideas from other sites.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum