Compliment the Person Above You

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Maddie McKillon on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:02 am

I canít believe we donít already have this game! Itís lovely because it breeds positivity and provides an excuse to fangirl unashamedly, hah XD.

You just comment with something nice about the person above you, like a line you liked in their post/app, an aspect of their character you enjoy, a particular plot youíre a fan of. Even about the player themselves. It can be anything and everything, as long or short as you like. (You can throw in a bit of feedback too! As long as the tone is kept positive Smile)

Since Iím first, one thing I like about PA in general is the variety. You get students and graduates, heroes and villains, tragic plots and amusing plots. Every thread is unpredictable because thereís everything going on! You can read long angsty prose or rapid fire action chases, often at the same time and sometimes with the same characters. Every character has something different happening, and even the site plots are massively diverse. Itís great. Not many other boards manage it successfully.

Ok, positivity- go!
Maddie McKillon
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 139
Species : Human
Occupation : Magizoologist, Herbology Professor at Hogwarts l Head of Gryffindor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compliment the Person Above You

Post by Adrienne Reynolds on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:17 am

We used to have it but I think it got moved once it was left alone for too long.

I love how straightforward you are about your characters. If it doesn't work, you just say no, which I have a lot of trouble doing. I always try to make up an excuse for the characters so it can work but you're less willing to compromise on your creations and I need to do more of that, myself.
Adrienne Reynolds
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 2828

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddie McKillon on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:36 am

I'd never thought of myself that way! But I'm glad you think so. (I'm secretly a massive pushover, haha. Was worried I was compromising too much, but I should probably do more of it Razz)

I really like how believable your characters are. Especially the ones you've had longer- when you read back, you can really see past events play out in their present behaviour and it's lovely. There's a noticeable character arc and it makes them so real. (I'm reluctant to post again so soon but I had to jump in and say it!)
Maddie McKillon
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Occupation : Magizoologist, Herbology Professor at Hogwarts l Head of Gryffindor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Dyllan on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:25 am

This is so great. I've recently started trying to be more positive - I hate it, and I don't think it matches my personality, but it's actually helping a bit. And spreading the love can be so therauptic when it's sincere.

So, Alyssa. I'll try to keep this to one compliment because I'm sure I could just gush. You write very clearly while still providing a perfect image.

For someone who had been so intent on evading notice, it was amazing how utterly unfazed Phaedra looked when Elsie's cry of recognition denied her an escape. She didn't miss a beat, pulling to an elegant stop, training a discerning gaze on the other woman and smiling pleasantly.

This quote really stuck out to me today and I think it's because I can see the moment so clearly in my head. I'm primarily a screenwriter these days, and we write very visually in as little words as possible. Obviously, this sentence is much prettier than action dialogue, but it also provides such a concise image, and that image also speaks volumes to Phaedra as a character. My prose writing severely lacks in how I paint a picture, so I really appreciate my friends that can do it, and do it so clearly.

Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10237
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

View user profile https://youroneactsucks.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddie McKillon on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:53 pm

I'm actually personally offended that no one has replied to this. Because Jack is amazing. Shame on you people. XP

Where do I start? You are honestly one of the nicest, friendliest people I've ever come across in the big bad world of the interwebs. I appreciate the way you reach out to everyone and put so much effort into plots and into connecting with people and their characters. You manage it amazingly and you make it look easy.

Since we're quoting posts here, let me just put this in:

...he saw the darkness as freedom, and she recognized it as giving in.

I mean, I could quote the whole paragraph but that line (apart from summing up the entire beauty that is Jalbus) stayed in my head because it perfectly encapsulated Jack for me. I haven't caught up on even half of her personal history (she's basically a real person at this point tbh) but that one line did so much for my understanding of her. It's so simple, but it says a lot. It gets across her demons, her struggle with herself, her occasional moral ambiguity, and her feelings about all of it. I don't know why, but I kind of went "ohhhh" at this point even though it wasn't framed as a giant realization and probably wasn't intended to be. But it worked so well.

(Don't compliment me! Compliment Jackles! Razz)
Maddie McKillon
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrienne Reynolds on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:17 am

I'm inly half going to accept that request. I shall now compliment both of you in one go because I can and thus I will Razz

I always feel like I put in so much time on PA, but I think a lot of that is because I leave the tabs open while I do other things and take forever and a day to post (no, seriously, I'm sorry XD). But! It's very evident how much time you both spend on the actual art of roleplaying. And nobody gets it right all the time but I feel like Jack knows her characters better than anyone - regardless of how desperately I love Keiran and Apollo. And Christian. Someone stop me. But, equally, Alyssa - you manage to hit triggers that your characters don't know about because you read through apps - multiple apps if applicable - and piece together things that neither Jack nor I expected you to and it's beautiful. Seriously, you can be our triplet and it'll be fab. (And you still need Skype plz and thx)

My point is, I love that it's evident how much time is spent. Because half the time I re-read old threads and realize how oblivious I've been. I'll repeat the same thought because I don't check to see if I've let them think already, although sometimes that does get done on purpose. It's really fun to write and plot with people who are so excited about learning about, rather than forming, a character. I'm always telling people that I just found out something about this character or that character just decided this/told me that. And I get stupidly giddy when other people are like that too.
Adrienne Reynolds
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 2828

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina Aldon on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:04 pm

I should now write about Addie? I'm kinda confused lol

This won't be long and I'm sorry because of that but I'm really bad at telling people what I think about them lol

But I like you, a lot.
You are I think the first person I spoke with when I came here, terrified about new language and everything and if it wasn't you, I would probably leave PA before I even come lol
I think you're funny and it's really nice to speak sometimes with you and get the chance to meet you better.
It's also great to post with you because every your character has a soul, it was really hard sometimes to treat characters like if they are alive but you are great at that.

I'll stop now, really, I told you I'm bad at this

oh, and you have great pictures on Instagram *.* xD
Irina Aldon
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Number of posts : 116
Species : Werewolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Dyllan on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Nadia, you have a wonderful plethora of characters. Each of your characters has a spark to them, and you're always willing to work to get your characters some plotting. A lot of people will either turn down plotting or just agree blindly without any work, but you're a "Yes And"er, which is an improv term. Where not only do you say yes to the plotting but you also do your best to add more to the plotting, which is really great in a scene partner. Smile

Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10237
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

View user profile https://youroneactsucks.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlotte Waldorf on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Jackles you have great characters, so unique and different and most important - real.
I can think about all of your characters as real people because they are so well balanced with everything.
You also have a great style of writting. You don't just put dialogues or write anything just to make that 100 words, you really put much effor on your posts and some of them are like.. masterpiece, they would fit well in some book
Charlotte Waldorf
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 645

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top