A Mid-Morning Housecall

A Mid-Morning Housecall

View previous topic View next topic Go down

closed A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Oliver Connolly on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:45 am

It was one thing to be the sole person in a relationship to have a job and thus a semblance of a life outside of the flat, but for Oliver it was a different animal all together. His other flatmate, Ariel, at least had people to go see. Oliver, however, spent his days in his flat - probably in his room - at the desk where he wrote the novels he published under a fake name. As much as he enjoyed writing, fame wasn't something he wanted, and it would also be safe to say that he wasn't a fan of hearing about it directly if people disliked his work. At least his girlfriend approved, apparently.

If he left the flat, it was to grab food, meet Alice, or take the dogs for a walk. He didn't have much of a life, and that was alright, Oliver supposed. He could deal with this. He was also the co-owner of Flourish & Blotts, and while he wasn't there most of the time, now that they had hired on Athena and because Keiran was there so often to be near his wife and children, that gave him a little bit to do.

Just a little bit.

At least, that's how he wanted his life to be perceived. In truth, he was breaking the law daily, and helping two others do the same. In truth, he had taken back the Order and was determined not to ruin it and find himself giving up on the whole ordeal again. He had a plan in place, a council to build, and students to get back from their exchange year at Hogwarts. He had his check list made and ready to go, even if it was a mental one.

That is, he had it sorted out until a patronus had bounded into his room, declaring that its creator needed to meet with him right away. He wasn't actually that spectacular with remembering voices, but this one did sound familiar. Either way, it sounded urgent, and as very few were in the know about who held the keys to Grimmauld Place, now, Oliver doubted it was actually anything untoward. He didn't exactly want to be proven wrong, but it was possible. So, wand in hand, he waited for his patronus to reach Dom Weasley, asking her to come to his flat and discuss whatever it was that was so important.


avatar
Oliver Connolly
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Order of the Phoenix
Number of posts : 69
Species : Human
Occupation : Co-owner Flourish & Blotts l Author
Karma : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

closed Re: A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Dom Weasley on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:43 am

Domís heart was still racing as they apparated to Connollyís flat. She was used to being out of the loop, sure, but there was usually someone who knew what was going on Ė most of the time, that person was Declan. But neither he nor Bishop nor the bloody Minister of Magic seemed to know what was going on this time and this timeÖ her family was at stake. The Weasley and Potter name had a big target on its back as it was, but they had actually taken Molly, and Lucy, and Clem, and- all of them! And not just them. But all those kids. They were just gone.

In her constant state of ignorance, an ignorant world was not welcome nor comforting. Her mind was racing but there was no finish line in sight. She was trying not to get hysterical and she focused on her breaths, focused on the anger towards whoever had done this. Focused on the man they were meeting with who at least had the influence to get numbers of people involved. Focused on the man next to her, the man that proved time and time again that he was in it for the long haul, that he would never leave her when she needed him.

She dropped her hand from his forearm and caught Declanís hand, giving it a tight squeeze.

She reached up and knocked hurriedly on the door, expelling a breath before swallowing the lump in her throat. She blinked rapidly. Donít cry. Donít cry. Donít cry.
avatar
Dom Weasley
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate


Number of posts : 223
Species : Human
Occupation : Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts
Karma : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

closed Re: A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Declan Arryn on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Declan didn't know exactly where they were when they arrived, but he supposed Dom must. At least they wouldn't have to find their way home after this like Muggles did. She gripped so tightly that it registered again that he had taught so many of the kids that were missing. He wasn't great at it, of course, but it had happened regardless. And some of those students were Dom's family. He hadn't ever had siblings or many cousins himself, but he could only imagine what he would do if Henry went missing.

So he reached over with his free hand, moving a section of hair away from her face. As his hand fell, the door opened and Oliver was there in front of them.

"Declan?" Oliver asked, eyebrows pulling together.

"Yeah, hi." He offered lamely. "Have you heard about the train disappearing? We need your help. The Order's help."

The author looked confused, but he glanced down the hallway as though he thought they were playing a joke or prank on him. "What are you talking about?" Oliver continued finally, turning back to them with a darker, more wary look in his eyes.

"The students are gone, Connolly. The train cars are just gone."

He glanced towards Dom again, wanting to bring up her cousins but fearing that he might upset her further. Luckily, Oliver stepped back, gesturing for them to come in instead of waiting for further explanation in the corridor. Once the door closed, however, he shook his head.

"A train doesn't just disappear. But how- How did you know I came back to the Order?"

Declan felt like he was searching for a certain answer, a certain name or something. He didn't have one. The question wasn't directed at him, anyway. Oliver had told Declan himself, trusting that the pub owner would see a lot of things going on in the Leaky and potentially have important information. No, the question was for Dom, and quite clearly made him anxious. If his fidgeting and crossing his arms was any indication, that is.
avatar
Declan Arryn
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 475
Species : Human
Occupation : Owner of the Leaky Cauldron
Karma : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

closed Re: A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Dom Weasley on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:57 pm

The door opened and Dom's mouth tipped open to speak, but Declan was ahead of her. Which was probably for the best as she probably would only manage to bleat the word 'train' before becoming an absolute mess. The two immediately began to speak and she followed with her eyes, trying to stay focused and calm, hoping they could move inside where she would feel a little safer.

Oliver obliged and the two stepped in. They spoke and suddenly all eyes were on her. She blinked. Wait... was she not supposed to... She looked to Declan as though he had her answer and then back at Oliver who looked not only concerned, but more than a bit suspicious. She blinked again, shaking her head. "Wait... you left?"

The distance in her voice made it clear that she was a little embarrassed at how little she appeared to know. "Besides, I don't know... Once a leader, always a leader?"

Oh, Merlin, she sounded like an idiot.

"But we're serious. The train just... it's gone. I was on it. The staff car made it but the students cars just disappeared. We like-"

It was at that moment that a silvery irish greyhound slipped through closed door, causing Dom to flinch away in confusion. It's keen eyes were all on Oliver, however, as it slid across the floor and looked up at him. It's mouth opened.

"Hogwarts Express magically hijacked. I'm gathering intel. We should meet."

Dom recognized the voice as the Dyllan woman and immediately pointed at the figure. "See!" She wasn't sure which of her points that proved, but she felt vindicated in her choice to come to him.
avatar
Dom Weasley
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate


Number of posts : 223
Species : Human
Occupation : Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts
Karma : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

closed Re: A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Oliver Connolly on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:43 am

Oliver wanted to point out that, if Dom didn't know, she clearly hadn't been very involved. But he needed to be polite and stay on topic. "I stepped down a few months ago, but was recently asked to come back. I haven't.. Well, I haven't made it public knowledge for a reason. I have someone to protect and I'm sick of the Order being so blunt about everything. What we do is not up to anyone outside of our group. And if someone can't be trusted, they shouldn't be involved. So no, it's not surprising that you didn't know I was back."

Declan was slightly surprised by the sharp bite of Oliver's tone, but he felt that maybe he was catching a glimpse of the determined, possessive side of the former Hufflepuff. Whether he would make a viable leader, Declan had no idea. But it was obvious that Oliver was trying.

Of course, as soon as Dom was able to get her tongue around the words, someone confirmed the problem and made their job that much easier. A look that Declan could only describe as contemplative crossed Oliver's face after hearing the woman's voice and registering that Dom's words made sense. Both of theirs did.

"Okay. I'll answer her in a minute. First things first," Oliver said, looking at Declan. "You aren't in the Order. Which, believe it or not, means that you could be of great use to us. You hear just about everything in that pub of yours, and I can promise you that we'll keep you safe if you decide to help us."

"I never- that is, I know my best mate is involved but I never really wanted to be," Declan said slowly, trying and failing to hide how cautious he felt.

"You wouldn't be a full member. It wouldn't be lying if anyone asked. I don't expect, particularly, that they will. Even with Dom around," he added, glancing pointedly at their hands. "She isn't known for being a member, so it isn't a problem necessarily."

Declan visibly considered this before squeezing Dom's hand and then nodding. "That's fine. I'll do it. But what are we doing about this train thing?"

Oliver frowned, leaning against the end of his kitchen counter. He was silent for a moment, simply looking at them, before he seemed to come to some kind of conclusion. "I need you both to know that I'm fully willing to Obliviate either of you if the following information gets out."

He paused, letting that sink in and watching Declan's eyes narrow defensively. Oliver caught the twitch in the older man's hand, likely wanting to pull Dom to him or to take up his wand. When he didn't do either, Oliver continued.

"I've been working with some students - ones who came home early - in secret. They told me that the exchange students at Ilvermorny have been unable to come back. Dom, I know you want to find out about your cousins but I need help. I need someone to take the ferry over there and tell me what's happening. If you're willing, you could be there by this evening and try to figure out how to send an owl back. One of the students I spoke to said they had a great deal of trouble communicating, so I imagine it won't be easy. But if we have eyes and ears there, Jack and I can turn our attention on this train. That way, when you get back, you can help us retrieve them."

Oliver shrugged slightly, pointing out that, "Actually, your staying would lead to days of doing nothing but waiting and fretting. At least, this way, you would have other things on your mind until we know more. But, as I said, no one can know I sent you. Not family, not friends, not the students you find. I'm not even sure if I'm going to tell Jack," he added for emphasis, not really meaning it.

All he did after that was look between the two of them, silently asking the question: Would they do it?
avatar
Oliver Connolly
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Order of the Phoenix
Number of posts : 69
Species : Human
Occupation : Co-owner Flourish & Blotts l Author
Karma : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

closed Re: A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Dom Weasley on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:32 pm

Dom almost felt like a scolded student, but she could not shy away from the truth, as Oliver knew what he was doing far better than she did - a pathetic fact, really, for a Weasley. But she would not let herself become discouraged. His involvement, complicated as it was, and his passion, even when directed at her, was going to be the big difference when it came to saving her cousins.

And it seemed he didn't want to dwell long too, jumping into it right away. She turned to look at Declan as Oliver reeled him in, and her arm went out to catch his forearm, squeezing gently to let him know she stood by his choice - though she would desperately want the help. Oliver's sentiment towards her could have been offensive... was she not so well acquainted with herself. She nodded along saying, "yeah, I basically bring the coffee."

When I don't oversleep.

Oliver's tone shifted and Dom's eyes widened, her thirst for adventure immediately inspired as her hand squeezed Declan's in excited anticipation. Perhaps this was why he stuck around, to humor her need to be doing something reckless. Or maybe he was up for an adventure too.

For once, Dom kept up. And for a woman so unmotivated, she found the answer was wanting to bubble to her lips. She turned to Declan, eyes wide, and said, in an urgent whisper, "I have a cousin at Ilvermorny." She didn't want to speak for him, but her mind was made up, and the significant looks she gave to both men more than affirmed that.

She was all in.
avatar
Dom Weasley
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate


Number of posts : 223
Species : Human
Occupation : Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts
Karma : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

closed Re: A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Declan Arryn on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Declan didn't need Dom's grip or her glances or her words to make the decision for him. But the last one definitely helped him get his own opinion out there. He turned his chin towards her though he really just sort of gazed, unseeing, at the ground.

"I was supposed to teach those kids to defend themselves, but I wasn't even half qualified. And now look what's happened." He shook his head, focusing his stare into something determined and clear instead as he looked between them. "I have to go."

Oliver drew in a breath, his whole torso rising and falling with it as he nodded. "Right. Then we need to get Jack over here so she can help us. I can't get you to Hogwarts by myself, or onto that ferry."

Declan agreed, though it was clearly unnecessary, and Oliver gestured that they should make themselves comfortable on the couch. He would need to pack them a few things. It hit Declan that he wasn't sure how long he would be over there - they would be over there - but he was a wizard. What could they really need to bring?

He hadn't followed the Prophet. Didn't know about the letter the Prophet had received since they failed to print anything. He hadn't seen much of anything lately except the gossip pages and a bit about how students were on exchange, a couple of months back. Now, radio silence on the matter. And it made him a fair bit suspicious, if he were being honest.

So Oliver went into his room and sent a reply to Jack while Declan sat down on the couch and pulled Dom down to sit with him. His arm curled around her shoulders, encouraging her to lean against him. He was turned slightly towards her, a hand fixing itself around hers and the other rubbing over her upper arm on the other side. "We'll find them, love. Everyone in the Wizarding World wants to know what's happening; they can't all be blind to it. Someone will find them."
avatar
Declan Arryn
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 475
Species : Human
Occupation : Owner of the Leaky Cauldron
Karma : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

closed Re: A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Dom Weasley on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Her hand slipped down to his, giving it a squeeze because she wanted him to know that, even if he felt guilty, she didn't see any blame in him. He had only ever tried to do what was right for everyone else, she fully believed that. The Weasley especially knew how far good intentions got when against the forces of evil. For every victory, there were a thousand failures.

However, she would not let this one be a failure.

Oliver whirled out and Dom stared after him, a wave of emotion having build up in her stomach with nowhere to go while they waited for the adventure to begin. Fear and worry collided against excitement and anger. Her gratitude towards Declan was pulsating and as he pulled her with him to the couch, it too a lot out of her to not cry against his hand, overwhelmed to have someone so inarguably good.

His words were meant to soothe. He had no idea that they were the key to defeating the fear and the worry, allowing the excitement and anger and gratitude all out at once, where they exploded into a fireball inside her. And her hands were on the side of his face, pulling him towards her, eagerly taking advantage of Oliver being gone for the moment.
avatar
Dom Weasley
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate


Number of posts : 223
Species : Human
Occupation : Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts
Karma : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

closed Re: A Mid-Morning Housecall

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum