breaking suspension of disbelief
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

breaking suspension of disbelief Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

breaking suspension of disbelief

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

breaking suspension of disbelief Empty Re: breaking suspension of disbelief

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:35 am

I think the thing that reminds me that this is a user-controlled story with user error is when world building falls apart. For example, unless your character is a first year muggleborn, they probably know the Potters, the Weasleys, the Malfoys, etc. Especially if they are same house or close to the same year. So I'm immediately taken out when a canon isn't recognized. That, or if a character is in the same year and House and they find themselves introducing....

Now, I know I've done stuff like that before on accident, so it's totally not unforgivable. It gets difficult with grads, especially if you are in a rush and don't sift through apps to double check. I usually try, within the context of my reply, to find ways to gently remind. Something like mining steel, I'm not sure, because I'm sure it would just come off as passive aggressive, as there is no way for your character to play along with something that... can't happen. PMs that come off as sincere in trying to communicate the gap in information, I'm sure can help. The other method I employ regularly... "I know what they were getting at... Let it go." That one's hard. But it's probably the most effective at keeping myself from going insane or getting into drama.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

breaking suspension of disbelief Empty Re: breaking suspension of disbelief

Post by Fiona Grimm Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:25 am

Ahh I see.

I agree. It also makes it more interesting if everyone is at least acquainted. In improv, we always try to form relationships that are at least 3 weeks old, because by then, you are a little comfortable being yourself, and it's much more interesting than watching an introduction scene.

I think they might be okay not recognizing based on face, but the names are probably mentioned in history classes, and many of the canons went on to do big things, so there should at least be some name recognition.
Fiona Grimm
Fiona Grimm
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top