The Calm Before The Storm
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

The Calm Before The Storm Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

The Calm Before The Storm

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Calm Before The Storm Empty The Calm Before The Storm

Post by Alexander Nott Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:15 pm

I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death. It had been those words of the potions Professor seven years ago that had entranced Alexander by the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. It was a speech that had been passed down through generations, from teacher to student who became the teacher. 

When choosing his NEWT's Alexander didn't hesitate in signing up for potions for it was his favourite subject. A subject that required concentration, a specific talent and was a challenge. Not many could master the process of brewing but Alexander had, like his Father, quiet the knack. Of course it wasn't what he intended to do when he was older as a career, it would be fun, but the Slytherin sought a high powered job in the ministry and brewing potions wasn't that. Nonetheless the subject was tough, especially the theory, meaning it would be impressive to employers to see it as one of Alexanders NEWTs. 

The clock on the wall had read half past five an hour ago. An hour Alexander been in the empty potions classroom working on his polyjuice potion. Unlike the OWL exam the NEWT practical examined concoctions that took longer than an afternoon to brew, they required days even weeks preparation. When given the list of potions to brew Alexander had gone for the polyjuice potion. It was tricky, complex even and would certainly be entertaining when the examiner arrived in a months time to assess the potion and found himself transforming into, well, whoever's hair Alexander would get hold of - most likely his own but ah well it would be interesting what he looked like from a different point of view.

Sitting down on the stool Alexander opened a second book: Goblin History: Rebels And Rights and began to revise for his History Of Magic NEWT whilst his polyjuice potion gentle simmered above the light flame casting an orange glow across the aged book.
Alexander Nott
Alexander Nott
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 115
Special Abilities : Apparation, Non-Verbal Magic

Back to top Go down

The Calm Before The Storm Empty Re: The Calm Before The Storm

Post by Sierra Logan Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Sierra walked into the classroom with her head down. She hoped no one would notice him. She took a seat next to a boy reading Goblin History: Rebels and Rights. "Thats a good one." She whispered quietly to him. She smiled and blushed nervously. She didnt usually talk to people. Much less cute boys. She looked around and saw everyone else making polyjuice potion. This was advanced potion making for her, but she would try her best. She had missed the instructions on how to bre wthe potion so she turned to the boy beside her, "Excuse me, do you know how we do this?" She bit her lip nervously and blushed again.
Sierra Logan
Sierra Logan
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexander Nott Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:34 pm

A few more NEWT students had arrived. Lessons had ended Anglos few hours ago but for anyone who tool potions seriously Alexander never found himself alone for long in the dungeon after dinner, especially with exams coming up. Ignoring the sound of clattering cauldrons and chopping knives Alexander continued to read on.

The relationships upheld between goblins and humans has been nought by turbulent. After being denied their right to carry and use a wand goblins have blackmailed and undercut wizards. They may not have wands but the magical economy Ailey relies on them and their power over Gringotts Wizard Bank. That would certainly be an interesting career, Nott thought to himself. Working in the Goblin Liaison Office would put him in a position working to stabilise the magical economy and settle disputes between goblins and humans. However his thoughts were soon punctured by a student, a much younger one at that, who had sat by him.

The girl could be no older than fourteen looking at her and Alexander was positive that he'd seen her in the common room many times. Yes. She was defiantly a Slytherin.

'You're interested in goblin history?' He questioned with a quirk of an eyebrow. Not many people enjoyed the subject, perhaps they would if they were given an actual Professor as opposed to the ghost Professor Binns who had a talent by luring his students into a state of drowsiness.
Alexander Nott
Alexander Nott
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierra Logan Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:44 pm

"Yeah, golbins are fascinating." Vanessa smiled. She realized he had seen the boy a few times in the common room. "Nott, right?" She had heard someone call him that before. "I'm Sierra Logan." She smiled at him and looked around the room "What are we doing, exactly?" She looked up at him and raised an eyebrow.
Sierra Logan
Sierra Logan
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexander Nott Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:16 am

(OOC: I just noticed how many typo's were in my previous post. I hope you got the gist of it haha)

Really? Alexander thought. In his third year he'd found the subject rather dull preferring the likes of defense against the dark arts and potions. It was only when he had matured and gotten older had he really began to appreciate the importance of history, goblin history in particular. For that Alexander had a little bit of respect for the Slytherin, who called herself Sierra, already.

'Nott.' Alexander nodded with an interested glaze in his eyes. 'Nice to meet you, although I think I've seen you around before.' He added with a smile before shaking her hand as any pureblooded male did upon introduction.

'We're just brewing potions for our NEWT exam in a month or so.' Nott informed her. 'The classroom is never used at this time so the Professor let's us practise brewing.' He explained, 'What brings you here?' He asked marking the page in his book before closing it. Had she wandered in at the sound of the cauldrons? Was she simply bored and wanted company? Nott was curious, it was rare that a third year had come to practice. Then again she found goblin history fascinating so it wouldn't be that much of a surprise if she were the studious kind to do extra work after classes finished.
Alexander Nott
Alexander Nott
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierra Logan Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 am

"Just getting ahead on my studies. I had already finished my other work and was bored sitting in the Snake Pit." The Snake Pit was her nickname for the common room. "Fourth year isnt really all that hard. Everyone says it is, but I think it's rather easy." She realized she sounded stuck up and snobby so she bit her lip, "Sorry, that sounded rather snobby." She started to gather the necessary ingredients for the Polyjuice potion and turned to Alexander, “Would you mind helping me? If you’re not too busy reading about goblins? As fascinating as they are, I could really use some help.”
Sierra Logan
Sierra Logan
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexander Nott Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:12 pm

The snake pit, that was a new name. A name that had caused Alexander to quirk an eyebrow. Sierra was quiet peculiar, she wasn't plain and boring, she had quiet the witty mind.

'Fourth year is nothing.' Alexander said, 'Wait until next year, then it'll get tough but-' He paused observing her for a moment, 'but if you're wanting to try polyjuice potion already maybe you'll find it a breeze.'

Nott could hardly believe Logan would be able to brew the potion, not only did it take a month to make it was incredibly complex and timing was everything with this particular potion. Nonetheless the pureblood would gladly help the younger Slytherin. Who knows, perhaps she could surprise him.

'Are you sure you want to brew it?' Nott checked with her, his eyes narrowing slightly, 'The first part is rather dull, you simply stew lacewing flies for twenty one days. Until you've done that you can't use them for the first part of the potion.'

It wasn't that he didn't think she was capable, heck he would have attempted the polyjuice potion in the fourth year - most likely not succeeding as only the greatest of witches and wizards could accomplish it at such a young age - but he didn't want her to get bored. If she really wanted to brew something complex he had a bunch of other ideas that would be a challenge.
Alexander Nott
Alexander Nott
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierra Logan Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:26 pm

"Bring it on. I love a challenge.” She winked at him implying she was talking about more than just potion brewing. She nodded her head and smiled, “21 days? Well then, I guess we will be seeing a lot of eachother if you plan on helping me.” She smiled and blushed softly. She met Nott’s eyes and bit her lip. He was really cute, she had to admit. Which meant he would never be into her “So whats seventh year like?” She asked trying to keep the conversation going. She started to do as he told her with the Lacewings.
Sierra Logan
Sierra Logan
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexander Nott Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:44 pm

Alexander sníggered at the wink. Sierra, for a fourth year, wasn't that bad company, in fact Alexander was to consider her one of the cooler fourth years compared to the others that paraded around the school shouting about their blood purity. Not that he could judge, Alexander had been one of them himself and even now the pure blood legacy was a huge part of who he was. It had shaped him into the seventh year he'd become.

'First you'll want to crush the lacewing flies in the mortar until their almost grain like then you simply let them simmer in a cauldron that's half full of water.' Simple. The first part of the polyjuice potion was simple, Nott just hoped that Sierra didn't get ahead of herself. For twenty-one days the lacewing flies would stew then... Then Alexander probably wouldn't be around to help her with the rest because he'd be too busy with his NEWT exams, but right now she didn't need to know that. The fourth year was keen and curious.

'It's hard work.' The seventh year informed the blonde. 'If you're not in lesson you're studying hard, doing extra reading. NEWT's are tough but by that time you've learned how to manage them. You just have to keep on top of things really. What subjects do you like?'
Alexander Nott
Alexander Nott
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierra Logan Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Sierra did as Nott said and crushed the wings until they were in a grain like substance. She filled the cauldron half full of water and put them in. "Sounds like hard work... NEWTS and all that." She wiped her hands on her jeans and smiled, "So now what do we do? Just wait or what?" She smiled and thought to herself, "I like Defense Against The Dark Arts, Flying, Transfiguration and now potions."
Sierra Logan
Sierra Logan
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top